Thinking about getting an '09 Camry Hybrid - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Supporter

Thinking about getting an '09 Camry Hybrid

What do current owners like?

What do they wish Toyota would change? (beside the 3-4 month wait for delivery)

What kind of mileage are you getting? :laughing: Highway driving? Town driving? Mixed driving?

Any maintenance issues with the Hybrid drive system?

2009 Camry Hybrid (wife's car)
2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4 (What a truck!!!)
2001 Sequoia Limited (for sale)
1999 Solara SLE (kid's car)
1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2000 Mustang (black sheep of the family)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Lurking Member

Re: Thinking about getting an '09 Camry Hybrid

Most love it
Minor complaints, here and there (mostly silly things, like the location of ECO button, etc.) but no major issues
Mileage depends on driving style (there are some who do 42 MPH on the highway to squeeze their mileage), but if your a normal driver, you can expect ~35 MPG (mileage suffers in cold weather). See database
None

In short, most love the car.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to TightyWhitey

What about saving the $8,000 - $10,000 and get the 4 banger??

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanielb1 View Post
What about saving the $8,000 - $10,000 and get the 4 banger??
The 4-banger does not have enough acceleration on its own. If I don't get the Hybrid, I will end up getting a std V6 Camry.

1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Lurking Member

The 4 cyl isn't a fair comparable.
Yes, the Hybrid only has 4 cyl, but the battery assist makes it the horsepower equivalent of a 6 cyl car.

just guessing...
The hybrid premium was ~$2,500 before the recent gas price rise.
The surge in demand pushed the premium a bit higher ... and extended waiting times.

(there are features in the Hybrid that are standard that are options on the gas version, so a true 'apples to apples' comparison isn't really possible)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 11:48 AM

I was lucky and purchased mine at invoice just a few months ago. We got every package option possible and out the door was right at 30k. GPS, roof, leather, heated seats, ect. I will probably get a 2010 if they redesign tweak it again as I have heard and expect to get very near what I paid for it. I will go with the hybrid again also.

You must also consider the resell should be much better, f you are like me and trade often. I had an 07 hybrid I traded in on a corolla back in Feb of this year and got excellent trade in. I was going to just sell it myself but the money they were putting in it was just to good.

I cannot tell any difference from my 07, they are fantastic cars. I average 37-38 straight highway and get 39-40 driving back to forth to work which is very little city but all urban. My wife who usually drives the car averages 33-36 mostly urban.

I have no issues with the car. My 07 had Michigan tires which I liked but this one has Dunlop which are not my first choice. The variable speed transmission and sound system are my favorite items if I had to name something of course I love the power it has also, more like a V6.

You will not regret getting the car but I would not like paying a premium for it.

Bob

2009 Tacoma PreRunner Crew Cab. Wife's Car
2009 Camry Hybrid, Mine :
2008 Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle Road King-My Bike
2005 Harley Davidson Deluxe-Wife's Bike
1998 Honda Accord EX (Daughters, but I bought it) :cry:
2009 Corolla LE (Other daughter but she's paying for most of it)

Photos located at
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Supporter

Well, I picked up my new '09 Camry Hybrid 2 weeks ago. Got all the options except the navigation. Took about 7 weeks from when I ordered until it was delivered to the dealership. Really like the car so far. Refilled the fuel tank for the 1st time at 534 miles. Avg mileage was 35.4 on the first tank by calculation which was about 0.5mpg better than the on-board computer was reporting. This was mostly hwy miles at 75-80mph. Hoping to get a little better mpg as I learn to "optimize" my driving style to the hybrid, but may be tough as the weather gets colder.

)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Lurking Member

Visit New Owner's FAQ (2.2) - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars for answers to many of the questions (including mileage expectation and improvement) that new owners have
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Talking Re: Thinking about getting an '09 Camry Hybrid

I just got a dealer demo full loaded 09 Camry Hybrid this last weekend. I traded in my 06 Prius. Wow, what a difference in ride and features between the 06 Prius and Camry. The MPG on the Camry is 7-10 less than the Prius which is a small price to pay for the nice ride of the Camry. I wish the Camry Hybrid was available in 06 when I bought the Prius because I would have never purchased the Prius. The only bad thing right now is there is no unlock feature available on DVD navigation version 7.1 system so you can use all the features while the car is moving.:happy:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Lurking Member

Thumbs up Re: Thinking about getting an '09 Camry Hybrid

If you haven't done it yet, just stop thinking about it and go ahead and buy it. I have an 07, bought in April 07, have about 40,000 miles, and it's been all "thumbs up."

Mileage-wise, I have never gotten less than 32 mpg on a tankful no matter what kind of driving I did - and I usually am not trying for mileage. When I'm acting my age, I avg. 33-35 general driving. I get 36-38 on hiway, like a trip from PA to FL. In South Florida, I have gotten 47 tooling around where it's flat and warm, and everyone's doing 45-55 mph.

The only problems have been the rattley dashboard and a failed tire pressure sensor, both of which the dealer fixed. The only thing I don't like is the brightness of the sound system/climate control center, but I'm getting used to it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: Thinking about getting an '09 Camry Hybrid

Me too! Either this or the 2010 Hybrid Sienna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THarms View Post

What kind of mileage are you getting? :laughing: Highway driving? Town driving? Mixed driving?

|
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Rookie

definitely a great car in theory. I have a friend who has one and they only have complained that the tires are not as good as expected. Otherwise, a good buy.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Lurking Member

apparently, some got Bridgestones and some got Michelins,
If I recall correctly, the Michelins wore better than the Bridgestones.
not sure which tires new cars are delivered with these days
new purchasers should find out if this is correct and request the better tires before taking delivery
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by THarms View Post

Just a quick update.... Our '09 Camry Hybrid turned over 35K miles on the odometer today. Car has run flawlessly since the day we drove it home from the dealership. Only complaint is a couple of annoying creaks/crackles from the dashboard when you hit bumps which are most noticable when the dash is cold.

I ended up buying the oem rear spoiler, body side molding and color coded mud flaps and installed them myself. Took a little time as I tend to be a perfectionist, but they all turned out looking great. We've averaged about 34mpg on mostly hwy driving (75-80mph).

)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page