Why are Toyota Batteries so Bad - Page 4 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 AM

Re: Why are Toyota Batteries so Bad

3yr old battery in my Solara and the positive terminal was loose and leaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeCJ7 View Post
My original 01 Toyota battery just died this morning. It’s 8.5 years old, not bad!
Guess what, I charged it up w/ a 10 amp charger for 5 hrs and the battery is up and running again after a week of use. Amazing, By the way, its made by Johnson Controls
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM

I got 10 years out of my 96 camry panasonic and the 01 tundra (purchased in 2000) is still going strong. Costco has the best
prices and warranties on batteries right now. But I'm another one that wished panasonic would sell the OEM line to the public.

Just an update, the tundra battery was still going at 14 years, but getting a little weak so I replaced it.

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeCJ7 View Post
Guess what, I charged it up w/ a 10 amp charger for 5 hrs and the battery is up and running again after a week of use. Amazing, By the way, its made by Johnson Controls
Well, said news, my 2001 original Toyota battery finally gave up. Decided to go with the Costco Kirkland battery. However, the only replacement battery they had was about a third smaller but equaled to the same original battery CCA specs. Oh well, it only cost $62.00 and comes with a 100 month warranty. Will see how long it will last here in Spokane Wa. Oh ya, after hooking it up, runs as good as new.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM

I find it interesting how some say the dealer True Start replacements are junk and that batteries from Auto Zone and Wal Mart are just as good or better. Not necessarily referring to comments in this thread - but web-wide.

My expereince with Auto Zone has been awful. There was a time when they would honor their 2 year replacement w/o a ton of grief - but that's long since over with. Go into an AZ now with a bad battery and it's like being questioned for a mass murder. Wal Mart is still pretty good about replacing w/o too much grief.

I find the dealer batteries to be better - last 2-3 times as long as the 2 mentioned above. A/C Delco has also been good - but the best after-market in my opionion is Deka - made by East Penn - not a mass-marketed battery such as those cranked out by Exide for every McParts place in the U. S.

Mike Murrell
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Rookie

My 2006 Tundra still has the original battery that was made by Exide. 87k miles and almost 6 years old is pretty good in my book. Wish I could find a replacement that would be as good.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Old thread, but updating:
I replaced the cold-weather package battery (not Panasonic) in my 2006 Tundra after I had cleaned up leaks twice and it had been run all the way down a few times (another story about a quirk involving cycling the ignition and the lights don't shut off automatically). It was 5 years old and would still start the truck. I just threw in a Wal-mart battery and have much easier starting now.

I also just replaced the battery in my wife's 2004 RAV4, but its still not dead. The original Panasonic battery was over 8 years old and started just fine most of the time. I noticed lights dimmed a little after shutting off the engine and occasionally after sitting it would start just a little slow. I didn't want my wife to get stuck if the summer heat finally killed the battery, and I got a Diehard Platinum for $154 on sale. I'm giving the Panasonic to a friend for solar use.

So my experience has been good life out of OEM Toyota batteries in general, but extraordinary experience with the Panasonic and some faults with the Tundra cold weather battery.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM

double post
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Lurking Member

Just to update my previous comments; original battery still going strong in 07 Tundra. The kicker is, this Truck sits way more than it runs over the past 30 months since I purchased a Scion.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 PM

i had an optima red top in my old 93 4runner for at least 7 yrs. i was not kind to it either. ran it down a couple of times, had issues with my alt over charging it to the point it was bubbling out the vents, sat over a couple of winters, charged it up and it kept going. my 87 corolla had the factory batt for at least 5 yrs before it died. we shall see how the one in my truck does, not sure if its factory or replacement.

lee
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post
…I disagree with the suggestion that hot climates kill batteries…
Correct on many points Ms kathyricks, but incorrect on the chemistry of temperature and battery lifetime. See the standard Johnson Controls graphic, which correctly captures the fact — which one cannot know through personal experience, only through testing of large numbers of cases, such that statistical confidence is possible — that [ital]the hotter the mean temperature of a region, the lower the projected battery life of a lead-acid system.[/ital] Here is an example of that standard and reliable graphic, http://www.tiresplus.com/img/global/...ctancyZone.jpg, and here is a further primer restating the following simplified explanation of the underlying mechanism, batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/can_the_lead_acid_battery_compete_in_modern_times (add http:// to the preceding web addresses). The simplest way to think about the temperature effect on lifetime is that every battery is, through its environment and its use, driven toward a thermodynamic endpoint that is inescapable (that is, its being dead). Background chemical reactions — ones unrelated to the owner's use or abuse of the battery — contribute to the rate at which this endpoint is reached. As rule of thumb the rate of chemical reactions double for every 10 deg C difference in ambient temperature, hence the hotter the environment, the faster the rate of the inescapable background chemistry that is occurring (and the shorter relative lifetime of the system). Otherwise, the well-informed, thoughtful personal experience-based observations you make, Ms k, are important, and a valued addition, alongside those of similarly broadly experienced individuals who also note the differences in OE provided parts in different locations, the narrow range of US battery manufacturers, their individual experiences with particular brands such as Interstate, as well as with issues of parasitic drain, deep cycling, etc. Cheers. Prof D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page