2006 Solara stereo options - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 Solara stereo options

I've seen people told to search on this. I have. I've found some info, but not enough to move on...

So, I bought a base model Solara 06 coupe. It has a single disc, no aux, no MP3 playback deck.

I'm not that picky on the sonics--sounds fine to me...BUT...I need to get either mp3 playback, aux, or ideally an iPod interface. So, I started looking at aftermarket stereos. Never had a problem with any previous car with just buying one and having it put in (or doing it myself). Dash kit, wiring harness...some needed an antenna extender, but...

This one, I've read has component speakers with the crossover built into the head unit? Jeez...

So, do I have a good option? Crutchfield says any stereo "will fit"...but, says it hasn't researched the speakers, which I would assume includes the assumed crossover.

I'd like to just replace the head unit. 45x4 unit with an iPod adapter, dash kit and wiring harness is fine in budget...but, I would assume I need passive crossovers? What are the options? Do I HAVE to replace the front speakers to utilize an aftermarket deck? Can I get an 07 or 08 deck OEM and do a clean swap gaining mp3 and Aux input?

Thanks in advance. I've never had this much trouble with any stereo replacement. Brave new world, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Re: 2006 Solara stereo options

Nothing? This should really be a sticky (not this thread, but info on the stereos in the Gen2s), I would think. Like I said--the more I searched, the more confused I got. It's apparently no longer as simple as "swap out head unit...get wiring adapters...mount in new dash kit". Been that way with every car I've owned for 20 years of driving.

If I have to take this to a custom install shop, that's gonna suck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

I'm still riding stock with my 6-disc JBL HU, so I can't be of much help to you, but I know of many others who have put in serious systems already, including aftermarket NAV, etc.

But if you aren't an accomplished installer, it's going to be a real pain.

You might want to go over to SolaraGuy.com and check out the Gen 2 Audio forum and read through some posts there.

Good luck,
Jeff

Account no longer active.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Hi everybody

I'm a total newbie here, seeing as how I don't even own a Solara...yet. Looked at an '04 SE a few days ago and having it checked out by a mechanic this week. If all goes well by next weekend I should be the owner of a Toyota, a first for me.
I too was wondering about stereo options, as I would really miss not having MP3 capability in a car, whether it be on a CD or a portable MP3 player. I had the same question as popmann....can a deck from an 07 or 08 be swapped in and have it plug and play? An aftermarket stereo would be fine, I know there are adapters out there that let you retain the steering wheel controls with the aftermarket stereo, but a swapout of a newer deck would be so much nicer, and retain the stock look.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page