Charcoal cannister replacement - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Charcoal cannister replacement

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Solara that is in need of a new charcoal canister according to the dealership. I had CEL codes of P0440 and P0446. The price for repair was quoted at $425. I was told they have to drop the fuel tank for this repair. Is the price accurate for the replacement of a charcoal cannister and is this something I could do myself?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Reply to charcoal canister?

I could be wrong but I always thought the charcoal canister was under the hood somewhere? Its function is to prevent fuel tank vapors from escaping into the air. Are you sure they are not talking about something else etc. Speaking of filters have you checker your cabin air filter? Its right behind the glove box - as easy as pie to replace. coal miner.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Retired Contributor

Re: Charcoal cannister replacement

The canister on a solara is in the rear above the rear crossmember, you DO NOT have to remove the gas tank to replace it, but you have to lower the rear crossmember and the muffler.
With p0440 and p0446 I would start with the CCV valve as described in the TSB I have attached, then maybe the canister or ORVR, that would depend on a smoke test and /or evap pressure test.

I would need your VIN to see if this TSB applies to your vehicle.

Retired

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Re: Charcoal cannister replacement

I have a similar quote for a carbon canister replacement. Unfortunately i recently had work done on brakes and exhaust system, 1 week later CEL on resulting in replacement of ccv, 1 week later CEL on again, this time I'm told it is for the carbon canister. Any chance the work on exhaust system my have caused a problem or is just a coincidence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page