Disable DRL - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Disable DRL

anybody know how to diable the day time running lights on the 2006 corolla? Im getting hid's and wanted to disable them. I asked toyota and they said its illegal so they wont do it for me. I looked on a corolla forum and they have a post on how to do it, but im not sure if its the right way to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

http://9thgencorolla.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4922

thats what i found on the corolla forum, but i dont know if that will work. The dealership told me that it could possibly screw up something by the method describe in the link.

Any info would be helpful because i need to disable my drl's so i can run HID's
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Re: Disable DRL

I have been trying to find a way to disable my 2006 Corolla DRLs since I bought the car. Nothing illegal about disabling because there is no federal mandate for DRLs. Only procedure I have seen is a Toyota TSB that deals with the 8th generation Corollas (1997(?) to 2002). I now have my dealer's Customer Relations mgr checking with Toyota to get an answer. I will find a way to get them disabled and will post results.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Lurking Member

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks for posting this year 2000 model pdf.
But what we need is a diagram for a 2006 model.
Do you have access to one of those?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to tundra2501

* * * * * Fixed Strobing Of Hids w/Harness MOD!! <--- Come In Here To Fix Yours - 9thgencorolla.com

There is a harness now so you are able to run HID

2001 Toyota Tundra: RCD 6inch lift, Total Chaos steering bushings, Clear Corners, Rhino lining, Mickey Thompson rims w/ 35inch Dean SXT's, Flowmaster, Boston Pros front and rear, Q-Logic sub box with 2 JLW3v2's, JL Stealth Box.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 AM

Just to make sure you got an answer to your original question, I too installed HID's and all I did was cut the red wire at #12 as shown in the picture.
That's ALL. One snip and the job's done.
All that rewiring jimmy jammy is a waste of time.
Just don't cut it too close to the module so that it can be easily repaired if you ever want to have auto headlights again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drl.jpg (173.3 KB, 4104 views)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Rookie

so which one do i cut the yellow or the red one and do i have to ground it to anything let me knoe ok thanks email me at [email protected]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Did you look at the picture that was posted with my reply? If not, then click on it and look at it closely.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 AM
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)

Send a message via AIM to netrickyaz

HEY thanks for the tip...i didn't wanna be down there moving a bunch of wires around i wanted a quick solution this works

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 Toyota Tundra Blue Steel Metallic (SR5 Access 4.7L i-Force V8 with VVT-i)
( De-Badged, K&N 77 Series Intake With Painted Tube (Wrinkle Black)17" Limited Rims with Good Year Wranglers (265-70-17s), V-LEDS 5000k Hi/Lo Headlights, V-LEDS 5000k Fogs (as DRL), Blacked Out Headlights, Tinted Side Markers, Black LED Tail Lights, Black Side Molding, Black Billet Grille, Kenwood Deck, Infinity Speakers, Alpine 5-Channel Amp (Doors), 12" Infinity Sub(Custom Box), Infinity Mono Amp (Sub)
(Future: 3" Lift Kit, Magnaflow 22" Single-Dual Exhaust)
CarDomain:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Rookie

9phil9 you said, "to cut the red wire at #12 as shown in the pic" Where is this located in the 2006 Corolla?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatel21 View Post
9phil9 you said, "to cut the red wire at #12 as shown in the pic" Where is this located in the 2006 Corolla?
I don't understand your question. Are you asking where this module is located? Or are you asking which wire the picture shows.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Rookie

Yes, where is that module located in your pic you posted? Also would you know where the DRL relay is located?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9phil9 View Post
I don't understand your question. Are you asking where this module is located? Or are you asking which wire the picture shows.

Yes, where is that module located in your pic you posted? Also would you know where the DRL relay is located? Also that wire you are cutting is there anything else being controlled or is it just the DRL?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 PM

It's connected to the right side of the steering column, about mid way between the firewall and the dash. If you lay your drivers seat back all the way down, you can lay on your back and look up behind the dash. (Now there's a clever tip you're not going to read anywhere else.)

From that position, the relay/connector that is pictured, will be to your left. (Right side of the column.)
Cutting the red wire as marked in the picture will disable, the DRL's and also the "Auto" headlights feature.

But I prefer to turn my own headlights on and off, thank you Government Bureaucrats, and Insurance Nazi's....NOT.

So if you decide to cut the wire, in order to use HID's..then be sure to cut it about two inches, or so, from the plug, so it will be easy to reverse in the future, should you ever decide to go back to dim Halogen bulbs and Automatic Headlights.

A word of caution here too.
And this is important.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR OUT ON THE ROAD UNTIL YOU RE-AIM YOUR LIGHTS !!!
(Yeah I'm yelling that, and for good reason.)

The HID's light source, and the halogen filament are not exactly at the same point, so the light could be aimed too high.

You could blind oncoming traffic with the new HID's....and you never know how pissed off somebody can get until you blind them.

Just keep in mind they might be armed, and just pissed enough to follow you...and then put an end to your lights. (I guess that would mean, like punching your lights out, huh?) lol
Enjoy your car, and respect others at the same time.
Good policy to live by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page