Toyota Tundra Forums banner

TURBO - installed & boosting!!!!!

32K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Garnet 
#1 ·
i picked up the used sts turbo kit from the classifieds about a month ago:cool:
the kit came with a new turbo and wastegate, master power s70 turbo .70 a/r cold .63 a/r hot and a tial 7psi gate. its a nice kit; everything was there and works great. i did the install myself at a friends shop. hes a welder and has a lift. that made it pretty easy. it took about 8 hrs, including fabricating the exhaust flanges (the turbo flanges were different than the original used with the kit). simple welding and bolt ons. its been up and running about a week now. spool starts at 2k rpms and reaches full boost just before 3k. its breaking in well, spooling quicker. no complaints at all. this thing hauls a$$ now. my 0-60 times seem to be cut in half. no detonation or any other problems as of yet. theres only one thing that i wonder about. the tial wastegate has a 7psi spring yet my boost guage only reads 5 at full boost. the guage is referenced to the top of the intake manifold. the wastegate is referenced by a 1' vac hose connected directly to the compressor. i thought maybe if i referenced the wastegate to the manifold i might see a full 7, but there would be quite a spike with 8' of hose. i live at 7500' elevation; could that have an effect?

future mods: blow off valve, mesh screen before MAF sensor, catchcan / vented turbo oil system

any comments welcomed

See less See more
#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.