Leveled with Bilstein 5100s now lower MPG - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Leveled with Bilstein 5100s now lower MPG

Is this typical? Looks like Iíve lost 2 miles per gallon. I primarily drive an FJ Cruiser. I did the 5100s on it (raising the front 1.5Ē) and it still exactly at 20 mpg. I raised the front of my 2012 Double Cab 4 x 4, and Iím not getting as miles per tank. Must really effect the wind resistance, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 AM
Rookie

Re: Leveled with Bilstein 5100s now lower MPG

If you didn't do so already, you really NEED to have the front end aligned by a competent shop since the addition of the 5100s will have changed the suspension geometry.

The two primary factors affecting gas mileage--aside from the right foot--are vehicle weight and wind resistance. OK, so you messed with the wind resistance and your mileage dropped. Now you need to decide if you want to further mess with the wind resistance and try to improve the gas mileage--may not be cost-effective. I just added the TRD front skid plate to our new 2019 Platinum (no factory skid plates) and it sure looks like that might improve the wind resistance by smoothing out the underside. I'll let you know if our mileage improves or not. Also, that skid plate costs over $400, so it may be a looong time before there's a break-even point on that purchase. But, I didn't buy the skid plate to improve my aerodynamics--just hoping that may be a side benefit.

Last edited by RickCummelin; 05-07-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page