NEW LED Tail Lights for Highlander!! - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to drmonkey1313
NEW LED Tail Lights for Highlander!!

Hey everyone, today I stopped a lady driving a 2006 Highlander Hybrid because I noticed her taillights were LED! It looks so sweet! I love modding my cars and this would look great on my 2005 Highlander.

Anyway, I did some research today and came across two places that sell them. (it took forever to find them) I am still searching and trying to get the best deal on these because they are kind of pricey right now, BUT we are not even in the year 2006 yet, so I can understand why they would be so pricey. I am sure the price will come down soon.

Anyway, I am pretty sure they will fit other models of the Highlander since they did not change the body style of the lights or the rear quarter panels in 2006 and I think most of the years back there have been the same with the exception of inside the light enclosure.

I will keep you updated on how this search goes and what info I find so if anyone else is interested in these for their car, you can get a hold of them as well.

Have a great day!
Dr. Monkey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my cardomain page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

OK, sorry for the very very slow response time.

I found a few places that will sell the 06 Hybred LED tail lights, but there is one place that has GREAT customer service and the best price from what I can find so far. Here it is.

www.anythingtoyota.com Ask for Bill 1-800-527-5368

PT# 8155148130 One is the left side and the other the right side.
PT# 8156148130

Bill can get you them for $240.14 each + S&H

LIST: $320.19 each

Bill was so awsome, he actually went out on the lot and checked a hybrid for me to get the exact part number and make sure they will work and then called me back with the info. GREAT GUY!

Have a great day!
Dr. Monkey

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Supporter

Question

I like to have the new LED tail lights. Can we use it? I have 2001 HL. Are they useing same wire? Do I need ot change any item other than LED tail lights?

Bob

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

I have not looked at the wiring for the light assembly, but I believe it will work. You are purchasing the whole light assembly for both the right and left side of the Highlander. The LED's make up the break lights/running lights. The turn signals are regular filament bulbs still, BUT, if you want to replace them with LED bulbs, I can direct you to a place for those and give you the info on what mod you will need to do in order to keep your turn signals from going hyper on you (flashing very fast).

The new 2006 Highlander Hybrid LED tail lights should fit all models of the Highlander with regard to shape and design. Again, I have not seen the wiring for them, but you could always stop by the dealer and see if they have them in stock and ask to look at them.

I would imagine, the wiring is pretty normal, WORST CASE, you would just have to splice the tail light wires into the harness that is in your car already. There should be no problem doing that because LED's that are used on cars have a resistor on them to allow them to be used with the 12 volt electrical system on your car.

If anyone knows or sees the wiring on these 2006 Highlander Hybrid LED Tail lights, please post on here and let us know what they look like (attached harness?) Thanks.

Have a great day!
Dr. Monkey

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Supporter

Lightbulb

Just check the 2006 Highlander Hybrid Owner's Manual

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ad.php?t=39695

At 73.pdf

Bob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Rookie

Re: NEW LED Tail Lights for Highlander!!

I actually just went to the dealer today for my regular check-up for my highlander. I asked them about the tail lights. They told me that the lights werent compatible. I dont know if they were just telling me due to the differing part numbers for the hybrid and the regular highlander or if they just didnt want to bother researching it. If there is anybody out there who has successfully converted their tail lights, please let me know
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure they were just being lazy or dumb. lol you know how the parts department can be at the dealer.

Anyway, I just inherited my wifes 05 Highlander this past weekend and bought her a new car, so I am now ready to start tricking this thing out.

So, I think I may do this to my Highlander pretty soon. Now, lets say that these new LED tail lights are not plug and play meaning you can not just use the plug from these LED tails and plug them directly into the harness from the Highlander. We may have to splice them together. Or we can get the harness from the dealer that goes with these LED tails and replace the original non-LED harness and then they will be plug and play.

I am 100% sure that these LED tails will fit and be a direct bolt on to our non Hybrid Highlanders.

If and when I do this mod, I will take pictures and put together a "how to" for everyone.

Have a great day!
Dr. Monkey

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Lurking Member

I also wanted to do this but fdrom what i have read there might be some voltage issues since LEDs use alot less than a regualr buld does. So it might there might be some issues on that and if so some resistors may be needed. But keep us informed on your project. Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmonkey1313 View Post
I'm pretty sure they were just being lazy or dumb. lol you know how the parts department can be at the dealer.

Anyway, I just inherited my wifes 05 Highlander this past weekend and bought her a new car, so I am now ready to start tricking this thing out.

So, I think I may do this to my Highlander pretty soon. Now, lets say that these new LED tail lights are not plug and play meaning you can not just use the plug from these LED tails and plug them directly into the harness from the Highlander. We may have to splice them together. Or we can get the harness from the dealer that goes with these LED tails and replace the original non-LED harness and then they will be plug and play.

I am 100% sure that these LED tails will fit and be a direct bolt on to our non Hybrid Highlanders.

If and when I do this mod, I will take pictures and put together a "how to" for everyone.
Carefull - there are special devices (LED driver ICs) to drive the LED's they are not directly 12vdc compatible - even with resistors. Current (Amps) source is a regulating factor in LEDs (as well as lower voltage) for intensity and brightness, as well as regulation for the "bank" of LEDs when one may burn out. THe regulating ICs may be in the lamp assembly - but possibly not - even with the same plug interface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page