2006 Highlander V6 Oil Filter - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

2006 Highlander V6 Oil Filter

Does anyone know where one could by Toyota Filter #90915-20003?

There seems to be some replacement filter #90915-YZZD1 from the dealer that is Made in Thailand.

I did an oil change this weekend and what came off it was the 90915-20003, Denso filter that was from Japan and the construction was real solid.

I didn't like the replacement one so put in a Bosch filter till I can find the 90915-20003. If I cannot find it most probably will go with PureOnes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Supporter

Re: 2006 Highlander V6 Oil Filter

That filter is a Japan filter. It is WAY better in quality and construction. I observed the same with my Highlander. Yu are observant. Not even the dealer understood my concern.

I had an issue with my 06 H/l initially and was given a case of "D1's" USA replacements for free on the house. I used one initially, because the -20003 Japan filter is nowhere to be found except in Japan. I

I saved and cut open the "20003" filter and compared it to the "D1" and the D1 is way inferior in construction AND design. It is slightly taller as well(20003) with slightly more capacity. The two filters have different filter media. A COMPLETLY different filter all together.

I searched for the "20003" till I dropped.

Result: The "20003 JDM" Japan version crosses over to a TRD (Toyota racing Developement Filter).

It is available only through TRD sites and some Dealers will order it. Any dealer can get it if yu just supply the Part Number.

It is very expensive. I seen $ 25.00 as the average price. It is colored Red/TRD labled. It is a high pressure/high flow with stronger can to resist rupturing during hard engine use.

I say this filter was appropriate for the initial break-in oil but why can't we continue using it as a standard replacement? Not fair to Toyota owners!!!!

FYI, I am currently using a K&N #HP-1002.
Mobil 1 filter is my second choice, followed by the PURE One.
I would ONLY use these three types in any of my Toyota vehicles.

Bosch filter is not a great filter...just on par with a FRAM ....also not great.

But, I really would like the "20003" Japan Filter or TRD equivilent if I could get it for under $ 14.00. Then I would get a case of 10 and just stock up.
I've been unable to though. I use only MOBIL 1 Oil 5w30 and only want a premium quality filter as well!

There have been numerous studies on all the oil filters out there.
Google this and yu will see what I mean.

I don't like the anti-drainback valve and pressure relief design of the Taiwan D1 replacements. These are $3.00 filters if purchased by case at dealer.
I addressed my concern over this issue with Toyota. All they say is that the D1 filter meets specs. I say it is subpar to the Factory Installed "20003" filter!

Yu are very observant, and never figured anyone else knew what I was taking about.
Good Luck

LifeTech

Bosch is not a great filter and I would use the O/E (D1) instead if yu don't have a choice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Supporter

I found this link. 90915-20003=90915-SPO20 TRD Sport Filter

TRD offiicial website

LifeTech

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Actually Bosch filters got the bad rap when the manufacturing was moved to Mexico , now that it is manufactured in USA, I am told there has been a huge improvement in quality.

Anyway, the Bosch filter is going to be on my vehicle for another 2.5K miles. I intend to move to PureOnes (possibly Mobil1's if I can get a good deal on the web) once I have logged in 5K miles.

Now coming to TRD filters -- $25 for an oil filter seems to be a bad mkting proposition. IMHO, Mobil1 oil filter is the only expensive filter every penny !!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Supporter

I stand corrected if yu mean that Bosch Oil Filters are now made in the USA. I do know thay are subcontracted to another company though. Could be a Champion or Purolater. Sometimes it only takes one complaint of a oil filter Rupture and it brings bad comments to a brand. But why take a chance.
Still, if I had to absolutly choose between an O/E Toyota filter and a Bosch. I would lean to O/E.

There are three, maybe four companies actually making all these filters.

Ironically, Wix is an acceptable one for price only if yu change at 3K intervals. But like me, yu change yours at 5K miles and want a better filter.

LT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Supporter

Check these links out. Maybe yu have read them?

Engine Oil Filter Study

and

Engine oil filters specifications, claims and facts Outdoor Power Equipment - Find Articles

Also the Bosch Filter, is made by Champion Labs. And in particular got a decent rating for its Canadian plant produced filter which rivaled the O/E Toyota filter which is a Champion too. Go figure. So I imagine price being the deciding factor between the two ,make your call .

LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page