Coolant in Exhaust - 4.7 V8 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Coolant in Exhaust - 4.7 V8

Hey y’all I tried to do some digging before I posted this but couldn’t find much.

I have a 2005 Tundra DC 4.7 with 182,000 miles. I started to notice after my truck would idle outside in the morning that there is green fluid dropping from a whole in my exhaust (it’s coming from a rusted out muffler near the rear passenger door). I am not low on coolant nor is there coolant in the oil.

Not sure what to check from here. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Rookie

Re: Coolant in Exhaust - 4.7 V8

It would be a good idea to have a leakdown test done.

2002 Tundra 4.7 L
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
Hey y’all I tried to do some digging before I posted this but couldn’t find much.

I have a 2005 Tundra DC 4.7 with 182,000 miles. I started to notice after my truck would idle outside in the morning that there is green fluid dropping from a whole in my exhaust (it’s coming from a rusted out muffler near the rear passenger door). I am not low on coolant nor is there coolant in the oil.

Not sure what to check from here. Any thoughts?
Last time I heard of something like this it was on a BMW where coolant was getting into a fuel return line and ending up in the gas tank and later being burnt off during combustion.

Check around for any corrosion on your coolant lines where it could be leaking.

"Laughter is the best medicine. But, if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine."

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Last edited by jack mccarthy; 02-18-2018 at 06:28 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Something to consider, I've noticed the same on a few of my vehicles. My best guess is it's a reaction of something in the exhaust with the deicers used on the roads.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM
Supercharged Member

Lets maybe back up a step here. You said you noticed green fluid dripping from your exhaust but how do you know its coolant? Only asking because Toyota uses pink coolant. Not to say yours isn't green coolant in your rad, its just not that common.
I would tend to think more like fester said. You are not low on coolant but you think its dripping out the whole in the exhaust, so how can you not be low if its dripping steady? Plus saying its dripping out a hole in the exhaust, wouldn't it be dripping out the tail pipe too? I thought burnt coolant came out as white smoke, not dripping green.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:00 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page