2006 4.7 oem exhaust drone! - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KarmaKannon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 4.7 oem exhaust drone!

I recently purchased a 2006 double cab with around 110k miles and it drones quite a bit. I'm comparing this to a 5.6 tundra I had with a maxflow (magnaflow knock off) and a 1/4 wave resonator I made. The tundra has way more drone than that setup and all the exhaust looks factory. The resonator looks like it is splitting from rust at one seam, but also doesn't seem to be leaking. The muffler is about the same but once again doesn't seem to be leaking at all. I have a small exhaust leak up by the cats somewhere but it is pretty small and almost unnoticeable.

I planned to do a muffler and dump the exhaust right around the axle before I drove the truck much, but the sound right now is loud enough. Do these factory mufflers or resonators wear out and get loud normally? In my head I'm guessing that could happen with rust and such. I drove one other tundra while I was looking that was about as loud. So the question is... Has anybody else noticed this before? The drone is actually pretty annoying when climbing hills and getting the whole ear popping elevation change thing going on.

PS I will probably cut the exhaust and turn it down right after the muffler to see if that helps, and if that doesn't help I'll just wait until I do a new muffler and 1/4 wave resonator. I was going to just do a stainless pipe right before the resonator and run a magnaflow knock off or something like that to keep the sound on the comfortable region. Climbing up and down canyons with drone hurts my head
Jonesy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Major Contributor

Garage
Re: 2006 4.7 oem exhaust drone!

Here's a link you may find helpful . . .

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...-system-works/

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Re: 2006 4.7 oem exhaust drone!

So I figured out my issue. The factory muffler had a hole in it right on top. I felt around before I pulled it off and couldn't feel any holes or anything, but it was obvious when removed. Good thing I didn't find it with my fingers when I was searching around because it is sharp.

Anyway j just installed a magnaflow knock off last night and dumped it before the rear axle. Sounds pretty good with very little drone. I actually have a resonator I was trying to finish last night but I ran out of time. For how small the muffler is I'm actually surprised it isn't very loud at all. The same size muffler on my Titan sounded like a beast. Then again the Nissan makes somewhere around 30-35 more horsepower and was a 2-1 muffler so maybe the 2 inlets and power had someone to do with it. That Nissan droned really bad before I did a helmholtz resonator too.

So I might need headers or something because this was just too easy. Usually I try to make better flow and then fight to quiet the exhaust. In this case it is strait through with little noise. I even went to the parts store with the exhaust cut off to grab a clamp and it really wasn't that loud. Sounded like turd but wasn't very loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page