• 1 Post By CougarsRFun
  • 3 Post By SuckersWalk
  • 1 Post By jdaniels
  • 2 Post By Tundruz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Bilstein 5100 question.

I bought the 5100's to level my 2000 AC and wanted to set them on the 4th (second from highest) setting. Reading the instructions, it clearly states not to use this setting for a 4wd AC, so it looks like the max lift i can get is just over an inch. I thought I had read on here of people doing it with similar trucks, so I'm wondering what the reason might be for them limiting it on the 4wd AC and what the dangers would be trying to bump it up just a little. I just wanted the damn thing level!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Rookie

Re: Bilstein 5100 question.

You'll need a differential drop for your 4WD so that it will not putt so much strain on the front end. That could be the reason why the instructions forbid it.

Check out this thread about being on the 4th notch. It's a 2WD but you'll get a good look at a 4th notch 5100 with stock coils

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...r5-2wd-v8-set/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I figured there would be a little more support from this site, but apparently not. I spoke with the tech guy at Bilstein and he said it had to do with my truck having the TRD springs. Something about them topping out prematurely? So, I guess, I'll just have to be content with the 3rd setting, which will probably only give me an inch.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedbus View Post
Thanks for the reply. I figured there would be a little more support from this site, but apparently not. I spoke with the tech guy at Bilstein and he said it had to do with my truck having the TRD springs. Something about them topping out prematurely? So, I guess, I'll just have to be content with the 3rd setting, which will probably only give me an inch.

The stock TRD springs on the 4x4 access cab have less spring travel than the other sub models. If you put the 5100's on the higher notches on this particular truck, the spring goes into coil bind and you will not use full up travel. The instructions for all of the shocks are on the bilstein website. If you download the instructions before buying they will tell you what kind of lift height you will get on your particular truck.

If you want to go higher you need different springs.

BTW, this forum is dying. Or at least the 1st gen section. All of the 1st gen forums are dying.
derailedbus likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Lurking Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarsRFun View Post
Quote:

The stock TRD springs on the 4x4 access cab have less spring travel than the other sub models. If you put the 5100's on the higher notches on this particular truck, the spring goes into coil bind and you will not use full up travel. The instructions for all of the shocks are on the bilstein website. If you download the instructions before buying they will tell you what kind of lift height you will get on your particular truck.

BTW, this forum is dying. Or at least the 1st gen section. All of the 1st gen forums are dying.
Your right about the 1st gen dying I can't get someone to reply to anything. Guess I picked the wrong time to own a 1st gen
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Supporter

Quote:
I figured there would be a little more support from this site, but apparently not..
This IS a forum, NOT Snapchat. There are several hundred threads here on this forum from those of us that have gone before you. Had we known people following us would be too lazy to search for their answer, we never would have kept threads past 90 days and just saved e-space.
SethNautique, Tundruz and Newzy like this.

Search for your answer.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:

I'm in the process of doing the same thing and also wondering why you cannot put the bilsteins up to the top notch. So you're saying the stock could springs are not adequate to lift 2.5"? If not, what springs do you recommend?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:

I'm in the process of Doing this very same thing. So if we need different cool springs, have any suggestions? If only lifted to the recommended 3rd notch what do you imagine the biggest tire size would be? I have a 2006 access cab. Also, is a diff drop necessary with the bulsteins on the 3rd notch?

Thanks!

Travis
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM

I have a 2000 access cab limited TRD with 5100's on the 3rd notch and I am running 275 70 17's on fj cruiser wheels with no problems. I would recommend the diff drop.
onirakkiss likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniels View Post
I have a 2000 access cab limited TRD with 5100's on the 3rd notch and I am running 275 70 17's on fj cruiser wheels with no problems. I would recommend the diff drop.
So are you running the diff drop with no problems, or are you saying you recommend a diff if one wanted to raise it higher while keeping the stock springs?

I'm going to be be doing this to my '02 limited in the next few weeks as well. Thanks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM

Go on Amazon and pick a diff drop kit up for $30 and have piece of mind whichever setting you go with on the Bilsteins. I've used both Revtek and Supreme kits with no problems.
onirakkiss and shanJo like this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 PM

You will want the diff drop even on the 3rd notch. I still had to do the hose clamp mod on my axle boots to keep them from spewing grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page