Top Tier Gasoline - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Highwaylizard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Das Jugghead

Top Tier Gasoline

It seems there are as many questions about so called Top Tier gasoline as there are answers. Initially all gasoline is the same. It comes from the same place and is piped through the same supply lines as every other gasoline until it arrives at regional terminals. At these regional terminals, sometimes referred to as "racks" or "breakout delivery farms" the gas is stored in bulk tanks until it is drawn out by individual fuel companies. Tanker trucks pick up loads of fuel at the terminal for delivery to individual gas stations. It is during the loading of the tanker trucks that the additives are injected into the gas. It is these additives that make one brand of gasoline different from the next. All gasoline sold in the United States must meet an EPA minimum requirement for additives - Top Tier gasoline takes it a step higher.

It is widely held that the EPA minimum detergent requirements do not do enough to protect engines from deposits on valves or from clogged fuel injectors. Deposits on valves can cause sticking which can create serious engine performance issues from poor fuel economy and pollution to outright engine damage. Clogged injectors can result in rough running and poor fuel economy which can be expensive to fix.

I know a lot of guys who run the cheapest gas they can find all the time and add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner every couple of thousand miles. I myself did this with a Toyota Tacoma and it had 169,000 miles on it when Toyota bought it back on a frame rust recall. This worked as long as I remembered to buy the fuel injector cleaner and add it to the gas. As time went by I did this less and less often. I know it sounds trivial but the hassle of stopping by the auto parts store to get the injector cleaner just did not fit into my constantly overwhelmed schedule. The truck ran well but I did notice some stumbling at idle during the last few years I owned it. I am not certain the stumbling was caused by cheap gas but I have run nothing but Shell 87 in my current Tundra and have not experienced any stumbling or hesitation issues. My Tundra has almost 128,000 miles on it as of this writing.

Considering that all gas originates from the same place you may be led believe that all gas is the same. In a sense this is correct. The base product is the same from one brand of gas to the next. But, it is the additives (detergents, corrosion inhibitors, and lubricants) that set one brand of gas apart from the next. Top Tier gasoline goes beyond the EPA minimum to provide maximum benefit to your engine.

One may reason that since all gas starts out the same, that using a bottle of quality fuel injector cleaner will be adequate for engine protection. This may hold true. But many people, when buying gas, do the price shopping game; they buy gas from non-gasoline companies. Examples of this are buying gas from convenience stores or off brand gas stations. What’s the risk? Most of these places sell gas a few cents cheaper than what you can find at a name brand gas station. The reason the gas is cheaper off brand may be that they got a discount on buying gas that has been sitting around in
a holding tank for awhile. Gas degrades the longer it sits and this results in poor fuel economy, possible increased emissions, and in all likelihood will ultimately gum up your fuel system. The cost of poorer fuel mileage alone is not worth a few cents savings per gallon to buy off-brand gasoline. Factor in the cost of fuel system refurbishment or repair and it is definitely a bad idea.

For more information on Top Tier gasoline and which brands qualify as Top Tier visit: Top Tier Gasoline

[Use by author permission from http://tundra-mpg.blogspot.com/]
Ramaytundra likes this.

355,164 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA [COLOR=Black]in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear [SIZE=2]differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page