The 2003 4.7 Liter V8 gets the worst gas mileage ever according to Consumer Reports. - Page 3 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Re: The 2003 4.7 Liter V8 gets the worst gas mileage ever according to Consumer Repor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
What happened to the OP?

2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: 5100s on 4th Notch, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Color Matched Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Patched Bed Floor
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Rookie

Re: The 2003 4.7 Liter V8 gets the worst gas mileage ever according to Consumer Repor

I have simular truck but only getting around 11 to 12 and do not get any codes. Does anyone have obd wizzard that could email a excel sheet of their running tundra 2003 with 4 speed auto 4x4 4.7 l that I can compare with to see what is wrong. I know gas is not great these day but I do not think it should be this bad
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd1950 View Post
I have simular truck but only getting around 11 to 12 and do not get any codes. Does anyone have obd wizzard that could email a excel sheet of their running tundra 2003 with 4 speed auto 4x4 4.7 l that I can compare with to see what is wrong. I know gas is not great these day but I do not think it should be this bad
If your not gunning it, it's possible that your upstream O2 sensors may be on the way out, but haven't failed causing the engine to run a little rich.

"Laughter is the best medicine. But, if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine."

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Das Jugghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd1950 View Post
Take a look through the recommended maintenance items on this list and start from there. I see a lot of guys who are surprised at the mileage I get in my DC and I am equally surprised at the mileage they are not getting. There has to be something going on here. When I first got my truck I only got around 15 MPG in the summer. Granted, I did a lot of modifications to get to where I am at now but even before the modifications I got better mileage than most.

355,164 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA [COLOR=Black]in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear [SIZE=2]differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM

I've got a low mileage 2003 AC and get 13.5 around town and I recently got 19.5 on the interstate with the tailgate lowered. This is with a 2" front lift and 31.5" AT tires. It actually calculates lower than that but I multiply by 1.07 to account for the larger tires.
Highwaylizard likes this.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Rookie

I get a honest 19 mpg on trips not pushing it. (old guy here) My 2003 has 206000 on it. I know, milage is a liars game but I cross my heart.
Highwaylizard, Jonesy and tundrunk like this.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 04:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jnich77

I have a 2002 and I get around 14 in town and 19-21 on the HW. I have electric cooling fans, an under drive crank pulley, and tanneau cover. It is 2wd with a leveling kit. I rarely go over 70 (usually ride the right hand lane and 55-60 on toll roads and interstate if the traffic is light), I don't accelerate from a stop with to much gusto (usually I let off the break and allow it to roll for a second before I give it the gas), and I try to time my speed with the lights so i am not racing up to a red light.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 AM

The 2003 4.7 Liter V8 gets the worst gas mileage ever according to Consumer Reports.

Old thread but great information. My 2006 2wd gets 15 ish when not towing and 8 to 9 when towing 5000 pound RV TT. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Goshawk; 06-19-2017 at 05:45 AM.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:17 AM
Das Jugghead

My mileage is still trash but hopefully in a few months I can remedy that with new cats and a reworked exhaust to accommodate the cats.

Still giving strong consideration to the undercover snorkel.

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA [COLOR=Black]in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear [SIZE=2]differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Rookie

I got 13 MPG on stock 2002 access cab and I use prem gas at Costco.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 AM
Das Jugghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post
I got 13 MPG on stock 2002 access cab and I use prem gas at Costco.
Unless you are running at high altitudes, forced induction, or high compression, the premium fuel does absolutely nothing for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page