First step in better MPG - Page 3 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Supporter

Garage
Re: First step in better MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
Just realized I backwardsed (mmhmm, new word) the mpg/avg game, by "keep the mpg close to or lower than", I meant keep the mpg number higher than the avg.
LOL...Thats what I thought when I read the first posting... I do this too... (AVG/MPG showing together).
Since doing it when i first got the SGII, I find my self almost driving more by the instant MPG than by watching the speedo...lol
It definately helps in the hilly terrain we have here in the Appalachian foothills...usually I find myself cringing going uphills (single digit MPGs), and smiling on the downhills (triple digit, or even 9999)...I'm sure the people behind me dont like it when I'm topping hills at only 45MPH in a 55, but Oh well...

Found out my SGII had to be calibrated by 9%, due to the 255/85-16s...Now I just have to get my tire pressure just right, and see if it needs a tweak on the calibration...

When I first started using the SG, my avg. mpg was between 11.5 and 13MPG...Since replacing the brakes at all 4 corners (except for rotors and new ebrake cable), I've upped it to between 14 and 15 MPG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Just wondering if any member has one or used one of the Ultragage? UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Would you recommend it?
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Das Jugghead

I am looking into getting one since my Scangauge took a dump on me. It says I am getting 7 MPG but tank average calculated by miles driven divided by gallons pumped says 18+ MPG.

355,164 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA [COLOR=Black]in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear [SIZE=2]differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
I am looking into getting one since my Scangauge took a dump on me. It says I am getting 7 MPG but tank average calculated by miles driven divided by gallons pumped says 18+ MPG.
I have an Ultragage I'm not using. PM me and I'll send it to you, no charge.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
I am looking into getting one since my Scangauge took a dump on me. It says I am getting 7 MPG.
Sounds right to me.

"Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
- Sublime
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocShock View Post

with the coupon, $135 shipped free, no tax
Where does one get the coupon?

Thanks

post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Das Jugghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
Sounds right to me.
Not helping.

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA [COLOR=Black]in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear [SIZE=2]differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Supporter

Garage

H2OMan, try AdvanceAuto.com...They usually have a 15% online discount always going, as well as free shipping over $75 orders...Which comes to $135....PLUS, they usually have a $25 discount code you get for your next online order....So if you use THAT also, you basically get a SGII for $110...
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Any experience with this one?:

https://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/u...PqYaApb28P8HAQ
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM

How consistent have you guys been able to keep your SG calibrated?
I have had mine for about one year now and am frustrated with the inconsistency.
When i fill up my tank following the procedure SG recommends "not topping off" and enter the information into the fill up section sometimes the "gallons" are really close ranging from spot on to +/- .5 gal and sometimes its off by as much as 3 to 5 gallons. My mgp's readout has remained consistent regardless of how far off the calibration is at fill up 10/14 mpgs. I am aware that there is fine tuning that is associated with calibrating the SG but am not sure how to go about using this feature... since my fillups are sometimes accurate and then other times not even close.
What is going on with this thing?

2006 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 Leer Topper, 5100's, Hellwig 550's, Weathertech Liners, Fog light mod, White LED Speedo mod, Interior LED conversion
1992 Yota Ex Cab V-6 5spd 4x4 31x10.5x15 Stock
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Das Jugghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyfishingWA View Post
How consistent have you guys been able to keep your SG calibrated?
I have had mine for about one year now and am frustrated with the inconsistency.
When i fill up my tank following the procedure SG recommends "not topping off" and enter the information into the fill up section sometimes the "gallons" are really close ranging from spot on to +/- .5 gal and sometimes its off by as much as 3 to 5 gallons. My mgp's readout has remained consistent regardless of how far off the calibration is at fill up 10/14 mpgs. I am aware that there is fine tuning that is associated with calibrating the SG but am not sure how to go about using this feature... since my fillups are sometimes accurate and then other times not even close.
What is going on with this thing?
My consistency is so bad that the Ultraguage is there only for decoration - and to tell me which trouble code I am throwing.

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 PM
Rookie

Every time I have put gas in a vehicle I own, since I started driving, I have wrote it down in a book I keep in the door. Total $ spent, gallons bought, price per gallon, total miles that tank, total miles on vehicle, store/city octane... do the math, over the many years I have learned a lot. I drive fast, keep high air pressure in tires, use cruise control and never buy cheap gas. I avg 19.1 in my stock 2002 2wd tundra sr5. I got 457 miles last tank with the light being on for about 5 minutes. I fill up till I can see it in the neck or it runs out, lol. I use a manual wheelchair so it saves me trips to the pump. I just drove between Newport, tn to Salem, Va and returned with a power wheelchair in the back at about 80mph average. Had two traffic creep and brake sessions about 15 minutes avg each one. Only got 427 miles on the tank. It has about 252000 miles on it now, I just replaced the old rear end with a used 115000mile one I got off ebay. Presently use Weigels gas 87octane/10% ethanol. Lowest cost around here. Hess gasoline is absolutely the highest quality out there, at least a few years back by my specs anyway.
tundrunk likes this.

2002 Tundra SR5 4.7L 2WD
253000 plus miles
In progress...
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I've given up on getting good gas mileage in my Tundra, I can average 18mpg per tank and get 21mpg on long high way trips. I pulled the SG2 out and put it in my GTI, I was getting 30.5mpg for a while but recently modified the air box and now I get 32-34mpg depending on the length of the trip. Trying to figure out how to get better mileage out of that car, it's more tricky with the might turbo 1.8 liter.
Highwaylizard likes this.

"Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
- Sublime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page