Belly Plates - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jnich77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Das Jugghead

Belly Plates

Title says it. What do you know about them? Are there any companies that make a complete set? I am getting ready to start fabricating a set of my own. More later on this summer.

355,164 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA [COLOR=Black]in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear [SIZE=2]differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Random Poster

Re: Belly Plates

You mean like this , or more so involved...

Rock Rated® Toyota Tundra & Sequoia Products - Skid Row Offroad
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Supercharged Member

I'm guessing you mean for decreasing wind resistance. Funny how they put them on something like a Corolla, a vehicle that already gets 50 mpg and has a fairly smooth underbody. Yet a big ass truck with transfer cases, diffs and driveshafts hanging out everywhere gets nothing.
I dont know if there are any aftermarket ones but I would bet you could buy a sheet of really thin plastic and heat it with a heat gun to shape it how you want and attach it to the underside of your truck. I know the Corolla ones are pretty flimsy but they are only meant for wind resistance so I dont think you need something really beefy for this purpose.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Das Jugghead

I think I am going to fabricate them out of 14 gauge hot roll for the initial set. Nothing for rock sliding or anything like that. Just for aerodynamics. Will be a full set of armor from front to back. Need to consider air for the transmission, heat from the exhaust (may insulate it), and cooling for the rear differential. Thinking about getting a spare differential plug and drilling/tapping for a temperature probe so that I have some hard numbers to work with rather than guessing.

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA [COLOR=Black]in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear [SIZE=2]differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 PM

ever consider other aero mods prior to this?

the whole idea is, we cant really realistically create a smooth truck body surface for the boundary layer to "stick" to, so they use air to help fill the areas... for instance the front of the truck can be blocked off with tape or something else to prevent the air from being "scooped" but the intake grille. just enough for cooling is all that is needed. stock air intake boxes are "cold air" already.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jnich77

I have looked at building one for the last couple of years. I wanted to go from the front cross member to the rear of the tranny. I also want to make something to seal some of the gaps. Just haven't gotten off of my ass and done it because I know it's a V-8 truck, realistically nothing I do will result in a dramatic jump in fuel economy.
Highwaylizard likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Das Jugghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rz-fte View Post
ever consider other aero mods prior to this?

the whole idea is, we cant really realistically create a smooth truck body surface for the boundary layer to "stick" to, so they use air to help fill the areas... for instance the front of the truck can be blocked off with tape or something else to prevent the air from being "scooped" but the intake grille. just enough for cooling is all that is needed. stock air intake boxes are "cold air" already.
Or maybe we could release the air jammed into the engine bay?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Rookie

I have thought of the OR Fab skid plate for aerodynamic improvement underneath the truck.

Air could be released from the engine bay with hood louvers installed. I have a set of Z34 louvers that may end up on my Tundra. Better cooling and increased airflow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page