MAF and TB cleaned, MPG rises, 0-60 unchanged. - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By characterzero

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

MAF and TB cleaned, MPG rises, 0-60 unchanged.

Hi TS. I have a 2001 ac 2wd. from what i have seen online (specifically on Toyota 0-60 Times & Toyota Quarter Mile Times | Toyota Supra, Avalon, Camry, Tundra, Celica, MR2 & more 0 to 60 stats!) i should be able to have a 0-60 time from 8-9 seconds. I have seen other members with faster times, but im just going with what i saw on the website. i have gotten my time as low as 9.2 seconds, according to my scanguage. with this my mpgs have been fairly disappointing, ive been consistently getting around 13, and i normally drive pretty reserved. since then i put in a k&n air filter and have cleaned my TB and MAF. I also read that i should disconnect the battery for 10 seconds or so to allow the ecu to reset and adjust itself or something. I drove it for a couple hours and could only get my 0-60 as low as 9 seconds flat. on the bright side, according to my scanguage, i averaged about 17 mpg . Basically what i am asking is what can i do maintenance wise to get my 0-60 times down to production level? or maybe with a 145,000 mile engine i should just accept the performance loss.. anyways thanks in advance!

2001 Tundra SR5 4X2
map and dome light LED mod
plasti-dipped grille
k&n drop in filter
Bilstein 5100's set one notch from the top
dual batteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Re: MAF and TB cleaned, MPG rises, 0-60 unchanged.

i should also add that i have 265/70r16 wrangler duratracs. could that be enough unsprung weight to set me back?

2001 Tundra SR5 4X2
map and dome light LED mod
plasti-dipped grille
k&n drop in filter
Bilstein 5100's set one notch from the top
dual batteries
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Have you accounted for any difference in tire size in you mpg calculations? I think that may have more of an effect than the weight difference in you tires.

I did not read the 0-60 time link that you provided, who did the tests? If it was Toyota, these were probably done with a staff of engineers present to make sure that all conditions were perfect, on a new vehicle. If the Tundra was rated at 8-9 seconds, and you are at 9, some would say you are already at the 'production level' in a 15 year old, 150,000 mile truck. Not bad.

Going from 9.2 to 9.0 is about a 2.2% decrease in your 0-60 time. From an engineering perspective, that is not really all that bad, with the limited mods / maintenance you have done.

2013 Tundra DC 4X2 4.6l Silver Sky Metallic
2010 Camry
2014 Camry
2014 Chevrolet Camaro

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jnich77

Either spend more money, or accept it for what it is.

Unfortunately Toyota did a really good job of designing these trucks, and didn't leave a lot of room for easy and inexpensive improvements.

If you really want to drop your times, grab a set of 4.30 gears from a V-6 4x4. Definitely makes a difference.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 07:14 PM

Duratracs and you're worried about 0-60?
Sure if you have the P rated 265s they weigh in at 41lb which isn't unreasonable...but then you have open tread design, softer rubber, more rolling resistance so yeah, mud tires are hurting your racing. But if you were to go to a 20lb rim and a 35lb tire you could see a difference...but would you like the appearance?
Highwaylizard likes this.

2005 Tundra Crew Cab 4x4 Limited | King Coilovers | Bilstien 5100 | Deaver AAL | BAMuffler | ARE Z Series Shell | Pioneer AVH-4000NEX | JL XD 700x5 | Polk MM Comps | JL Microsub | Alpine Backup Cam | WeatherTech Liners | NSR-4 Bike Rack | FN Wheels 5-star 17" w 285 Nitto Terra Grappler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page