NGK or Other brands - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question NGK or Other brands

Hi every one.. I looked thru the threads and really didn't see much on my question, So I am seeking anyone's advice on this matter!

I want to do a Spark plug change Mainly just because of the mileage, Truck runs fine ! ,, I can get a set of 2 NGKs Iridium IX Spark Plugs at the parts store for 18 bucks a a pair..or the NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug starting at 11 bucks a plug.. I've never used NGK but hear good things about there products.
Toyota wants $16.00 a piece for OEM plugs which I think are Denso plugs (not sure).. I usually Like buying OEM parts but wow I am not a rich man LOL.. any Ideas on brands of plugs that will give me good performance?

My truck is a 2008 ,5.7 Crewmax..Fully loaded 2 wheel drive with 135,000 miles on her.
Any ideas would be awesome !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 AM
Lurking Member

Re: NGK or Other brands

WOLFHAWK, I have used this forum for a while and the experts here all use NGK or Denso. They work the best and I have had no problems with them. When I got this truck, it was 8 yrs. old and still had the original plugs (Denso) which looked remarkably good when I changed them with NGK. Couldn't find the Denso at that time. After 2 yrs. and almost 30K they are great.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

I have always gone with the OEM replacement or longevity upgrade. You just can't go wrong with NGK. I would personally go with the Laser series. Just remember not to try to adjust the gap or hit the electrode before you install them..

here is what they say about the NGKs to explain the difference on their site.
Quote:
The Difference Between OE Iridium and Iridium IX

NGK builds two types of iridium spark plugs: OE Iridium and Iridium IX®. Every plug in the Laser Series was designed for an OEM application. All dual precious metal plugs are designed to provide maximum longevity. For the OE Iridium series, dual precious metal means iridium on the center tip and platinum on the ground electrode. Some of these plugs have special resistors or multiple ground electrodes, depending on the original equipment requirements.
The Iridium IX® spark plugs are a single precious metal aftermarket performance plug. They are a great option for modified engines, and where recommended, are appropriate replacements for OEM spark plugs. Iridium IX® plugs are an excellent upgrade from standard nickel plugs. The Iridium IX® plugs are offered in various heat ranges and sizes to fit most automotive and non-automotive applications.
These two plugs perform similarly, due to their fine-wire tip design, but the service interval is different; the Laser Series are typically designed to last 80 to 100 thousand miles, where as the Iridium IX® spark plugs are designed to last 40 to 50 thousand miles.

Home of the Original Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kits
Toll Free 1-844-307-7671

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile Re: NGK or Other brands

At the time im up in Canada,, Laser Series plugs locally,, So i went with the NGK Iridium IX.. Ill be dead long before i get 50,000 miles lol I wish I could have the Lazer series,, Toyota near me only had OEM Denso plugs And 2 parts places wanted 23.00 a plug for the Lazer series;; Sooo No go on those ,, But I am sure the NGK Iridium IX will do just fine
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Supporter

I would ask this in 2nd generation forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mpg , performance accessories , spark plugs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page