Gallons per hour burned during idle? - Page 2 - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Lurking Member

Re: Gallons per hour burned during idle?

For those of you who didn't read your owner's manual from cover to cover:

(From the 2006 manual, page 355)

NOTICE:

A large amount of unburned gases flowing into the three-way catalytic converter may cause it to overheat and create a fire hazard. To prevent this and other damage, observe the following precautions:

- Use only unleaded gasoline.

- Do not drive with an extremely low fuel level; running out of fuel could cause the engine to misfire, creating an excessive load on the three-way catalytic converter.

- Do not allow the engine to run at idle speed for more than 20 minutes.

- Avoid racing the engine.

- Do not push-start or pull-start your vehicle.

- Do not turn off the ignition while the vehicle is moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to jdeaton

oh so i should just take the cats off? lol
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 AM

i had my tundra at idle speed for 3 hours because i was stuck in a traffic jam in near 100 degrees with the a/c on.... no fire but then again i would move a couple feet every few minutes so i guess that saved me.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

The whole fire thing from the cats is more of an issue if you are parked on grass or something like that. The cats will get hot and could set the grass/brush underneath the truck on fire. I've never heard of a cat catching fire...melting? Yes. Fire? No. BUT, I doubt you will melt a cat just from idling unless your AF ratio is messed up due to an engine control problem that is causing excess fuel to get dumped into the cylinders.

As for wear and tear, it's not all that bad with a roller motor. If you have a flat tappet cam, idling usually doesn't throw enough oil on the camshaft and wear can ensue. Not sure about the setup in the iForce. If you want to see a real-world test on idling, just look at cop cars. They're at idle a lot and those motors tend to last at least 150K.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N773BB View Post
For those of you who didn't read your owner's manual from cover to cover:

(From the 2006 manual, page 355)

NOTICE:

A large amount of unburned gases flowing into the three-way catalytic converter may cause it to overheat and create a fire hazard. To prevent this and other damage, observe the following precautions:

- Use only unleaded gasoline.

- Do not drive with an extremely low fuel level; running out of fuel could cause the engine to misfire, creating an excessive load on the three-way catalytic converter.

- Do not allow the engine to run at idle speed for more than 20 minutes.

- Avoid racing the engine.

- Do not push-start or pull-start your vehicle.

- Do not turn off the ignition while the vehicle is moving.

We are also told NEVER to exceed recomended tire size on our vehicles, and not to use cell phone at gas stations. LOL
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

I am a first responder and often idle the truck for hours in order not to run down the battery while having my emergency lights on. So far have not seen any significant MPG change at fillup when the truck idles.

What is this 20 minute idle thing?

bug deflector/side fender turn signal/went shades/back rack/tool box/rear strip light/nerf bars/top light bar/front alternating flashers/rear strobes in turn & stop lights/bedmatt & linert/all badges removed/Helwig sway bar
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks N773BB. I was about to go out to my truck and get the manual out.

I assume by the fact that:

1) Your screen name is a US registered aircraft (an SR22)

2) You actually read the manual like I did

that you are a pilot.

Tailwinds bro.

2004 (Former, debadged) Texas Editon Double Cab SR5 4x4. Removed 20" rims and tires. Installed 17" Graphite TRD wheels and Bridgestone Dueller Revo tires. Reinstalled front mud guards. Added Husky heavy duty floor liners. Installed UnderCover bed cover.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Lurking Member

Dee Cab is right. I'm a pilot and the first thing I did when I got my 06 DC was read the manual from cover to cover. Even though I haven't flown in over a decade and I have less than 300 hours, it must still be in me.

I have a small stack of flight manuals in my office that I find myself reading on occasion. I can't remember birthdays, but I do know that you need a minimum of 16 quarts of oil before starting a CF6-80C2 engine on an A300. No wonder I can't remember birthdays with that kind of stuff cluttering my brain.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 PM

That's what I love about the Lear 45. We have very few numbers to memorize on this airplane. All we have to know is "white is right". If the indication is white and not boxed, we're good to go. Yellow is concern and red is bad!

2004 (Former, debadged) Texas Editon Double Cab SR5 4x4. Removed 20" rims and tires. Installed 17" Graphite TRD wheels and Bridgestone Dueller Revo tires. Reinstalled front mud guards. Added Husky heavy duty floor liners. Installed UnderCover bed cover.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Okay, you win... you cost me some more money.

Over the past several months I keep seeing posts by people similar to the above. Quoting mpg, or gph, or error codes, etc. I'm always thinking, man.. I wish I had a scanguage... well, now I've ordered one and it's all your fault.

You won't regret the scangauge. Especially since it's one of those "mods" that can easily transport from vehicle to vehicle.

I know I'll never be without one.

But actually, back to the original thread. My Tundra burns 1.2gph at initial start up. After it switched to closed loop, it burns about 0.5gph until it fully warms up, then it burns 0.4gph at idle. If I kick it up into neutral, like at a long light, it has flickered down to 0.3gph.

Lee

2006 Toyota Tundra DC 4wd XSP
Bassani X-pipe, Flowmasters, Line-X Bedliner

2004 Harley Night Train
2006 Harley Ultra Classic
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobro View Post
Whats the harmful effects of leaving a gasoline vehicle on for hrs at a time? Besides wasting fuel. Does it effect/water pump/oil pump/ etc...
Foul the plugs, build up deposits. Also water from the combustion process could accumulate in the exhaust system if parked on a slight grade, it's pretty pure (it was just vapor previously) so it might have time to attack metal like it was an anode if it sat too long.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Okay, you win... you cost me some more money.

Over the past several months I keep seeing posts by people similar to the above. Quoting mpg, or gph, or error codes, etc. I'm always thinking, man.. I wish I had a scanguage... well, now I've ordered one and it's all your fault.

Now, I'm still waiting to hear some more on this 20 minute idle limit! Never heard of such a thing. I used to have a remote start on a vehicle you could set to run for 20 minutes then shutoff. It would cycle at a predetermined time interval throughout the night (or day).
Scanguages are good investments anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page