new to offroading questions? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DevinSixtySeven

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

new to offroading questions?

Well went on my first 4x4 run on the weekend and loved it. I've done some logging roads and a bit off exploring before but this time went on an organized trip through some tight trails and creek and stuff I never been on before

I installed bilstein 5100s just after I bought the truck a few months ago

Question is what are some recommended things to make lessen the risk of breakdowns and stuff out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:49 AM

Re: new to offroading questions?

A buddy in a second truck.

Tow Straps.

Smart decision making...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Leader of Group Evil

Glad you enjoyed it! 1gen Tundras are very capable in the dirt.

This is a conversation you'll def want to have with your wheeling buddies.

First thing, never spin your tires unless you enjoy replacing axles and swapping differentials.

Air down. You can buy a CO2 tank, fixed regulator, hose, and chuck, for well under 200$. Some of us bought our own bottles, meaning we have to find a place which will refill and return our bottle. It may be easier and less expensive to use the bottle swap program at a welding supply.

If you still have open diffs (LSD may as well be an open diff, offroad), engaging the e-brake (rear axle) and feathering the brake pedal (mostly front axle) helps redistribute torque to the tires with traction.

Traction & bridging ladders. Under 200$ I think, and will get you out of sand, mud and snow.

Medium size D-handle shovel, long pry bar, saw, hatchet.

Cell phone, CB radio with tuned antenna.

That's the bare minimum.

-Sean
srjeff likes this.

1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vs.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:01 PM

Let people know where you are and when you expect to be back

Bring a jacket

FRS radios (or CB) if going in a group

Shovel

Basic first aid stuff

Hopefully you can have someone join you that has a winch on their rig

Flashlight

Knife / firearm

Don't go at night

....never ever everrrrrr go alone.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

All great advice. I bring several pieces of wood (few 2x4, railroad tie, 4x4' plywood), compressor, tire plug kit, water, tools. One time I went out alone on a rainy weekend without my shovel, got high centered and had to dig my way out with a 2x4. I'll never take my shovel out of the bed again.

Best thing to bring is a companion.

"Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
- Sublime
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
All great advice. I bring several pieces of wood (few 2x4, railroad tie, 4x4' plywood), compressor, tire plug kit, water, tools. One time I went out alone on a rainy weekend without my shovel, got high centered and had to dig my way out with a 2x4. I'll never take my shovel out of the bed again.

Best thing to bring is a companion.
I would personally never use wood for vehicle recoveries. We wont even use logs on the trail because it's too light and can easily be destroyed with the power/weight from a vehicle.

Bare minimum I would say:

- Tire repair kit and a full sized spare
- tools for basic repairs
- recovery strap: a real one that has some stretch, NOT the cheapo nylon strap that act as rigid as a chain.
- D-Ring shackles
- recovery points mounted to the frame front and rear
- first aid kit
- air compressor or C02 setup
- a well maintained vehicle with no leaks
- Decent tires
- sliders if you want to avoid body damage - IMO the first piece of armor that you should own
- hi-lift jack
- some kind of communication device depending on the area your traveling in. A VHF Radio is the best. CB's and FRS are good for vehicle to vehicle communication but don't reach very far once in the mountains etc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Supercharged Member

don't forget if you do get stuck in sand (maybe mud-not much of that in Baja) let 1/2 of the air out of each tire and try to drive out. if you bog down let more out. i've gone down to +/- 12 pounds to get off a soft spot of broken shells along the high tide line with the water 20' away.

of course, you should be able to air back up! i've got an old SCBA tank and regulator for quick fills.

All you Baja lovers check out:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I was on holidays and forgot i even started this thread. Lol
I have already started on the recovery gear to be safe and definitely won't be heading out alone
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Lurking Member

I heard youre supposed to put a **** ton of air in the tires
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean266 View Post

....never ever everrrrrr go alone.
If you are prepared and know what you are doing, going out alone is perfectly fine.

But as a beginner, I would agree that going out alone is probably not a good idea.

edit: Holy Necro Batman! Did not realize this was such an old post. This forum is not very active haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page