Bilsteins - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Bilsteins

Hey guys, I got some Bilsteins 5125's that have 14in of travel, I got em for a steal but I was wondering if they would be ok to put on my 2002 tundra. I know you can use 5100s but I havent seen much about 5125's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Bilsteins

Are you putting these in a factory suspension setup? I am not going to pretend like I am a suspension expert but I have done some and would think if they have the same dimension and at least cover the factory travel you should be ok as long as the valving is the same. I have never done long travel shocks but think there is likely a difference in valving and they may not give enough damping for a standard travel. I would love to see an expert opinion on this as well.
PS
I have the 5100s. and love them on the factory height setting (actually about 1/4 taller) = huge difference in stability and handling. I miss the cushy factory ride on the interstate but for zipping around they are a huge improvement over stock.

Home of the Original Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kits
Toll Free 1-844-307-7671

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

No I was planning on going with old man EMU springs, a diff drop as well as prolly camburg or LR control arms.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Supercharged Member

Garage

if they bolt up to the stock mounting holes then thats a plus but you need to be changing out atleast the UCA for a uniball and maybe even LCA as well with that much travel and those springs.

2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 240,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K LED Heads & 5K LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs,
, K&N Air Filter,
, 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar
, Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights
), 255/85r16 BFG KM2s, 3" LED flood cubes, 4" LED Hyperspot Pods, Custom TowHook Towball

Other toys: FOR SALE: 1969 Torch Red Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible, 396, M21, 12 Bolt Posi 4.11s
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Supercharged Member

Garage

I believe those are the ones everyone is buying unless they have a larger ball size for 1st gens available

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Appi

2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 240,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K LED Heads & 5K LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs,
, K&N Air Filter,
, 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar
, Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights
), 255/85r16 BFG KM2s, 3" LED flood cubes, 4" LED Hyperspot Pods, Custom TowHook Towball

Other toys: FOR SALE: 1969 Torch Red Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible, 396, M21, 12 Bolt Posi 4.11s
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Leader of Group Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwelk View Post
Hey guys, I got some Bilsteins 5125's that have 14in of travel, I got em for a steal but I was wondering if they would be ok to put on my 2002 tundra. I know you can use 5100s but I havent seen much about 5125's
Need some clarification here.

The 5125 is a 14" travel shock, or someone said it would give you 14" of travel at the front wheel?

Either way, that is not going to work on the front end without a pile of money to back it up. +3.5" LT kits for our trucks cycle 13-14" tops.

Assuming they're smoothies, put them in back with new leaves and shackles, and a simple bed cage to locate the top of the shocks where they pop through the bed. Put some Camburg uniball arms up front with extended coilovers, and call it a day...should be a great build.

If they're 14" coilovers, they unfortunately won't really work for any of the bolt-on applications available for 1gen Tundras. If they're 8" coilovers, pick up an LT kit.

-Sean

1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index

-
vs.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

My buddy I got them off said they had 14in of travel, but he was probably wrong lol. So basically just use them for rear shocks if they even work, what coilovers would you reccomend? and how about brand of shackles? Ill do some research the bed cage as well. Thank you!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwelk View Post
My buddy I got them off said they had 14in of travel, but he was probably wrong lol. So basically just use them for rear shocks if they even work, what coilovers would you reccomend? and how about brand of shackles? Ill do some research the bed cage as well. Thank you!!
Check out SoCalTundras.com for more suspension built tundras. I would recommend total chaos 3/4 lowering shackle or mcm fabrications spring under shackles. You can google their name and find pictures.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

If the 5125s fit in the stock mounting positions I would bolt them in. I know a guy selling a bedcage for a tundra also. King, fox, radflo or sway a way are the best shock companies when looking for coilovers bump stops and bypasses

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Supporter

Garage

14" travel shock with the stock setup and location for the rearis going to bottom out before the stock suspension fully cycles. You'll end up damaging the shocks. For stock, i would suggest 8" travel 5125's. I had 14" travel 5100's with approx. 6" lift and they bottomed out. Now i'm using 12" travel shocks.

~Mike
SAC'ed 2000 V8 tundra - http://dyogim.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page