Skid Plates - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Skid Plates

Someone local to me is selling a 60x120" sheet of .187 steel plate that I'm thinking about buying and trying to cut down into some skid plates. No suprise I would want to mimick the Skid Row plates. I feel kinda bad about it, but those go for $1003 not including shipping, so not that bad.

Has anyone else made skid plates? I actually would be taking this to a guy I know who does fab work for drift cars, lots of tube bending and welding, he thinks he can do it.

Or if I could get the sheet laser cut by a local company and they have precision bending equipment also but I would need a CAD file .dxf or .dwg

Anyone have advice? I've been wheeling in the Rocky Mountains, nothing extreme just to get to more remote camping spots and I've just been lucky so far I guess! No protection. I want protection!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Re: Skid Plates

EDIT: I can't do math

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

3/16 = .187"

However, I just ended up ordering the Skid Row products, all four of them today. So nevermind to anyone else reading!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Lurking Member

IMO you'll be happy with the skid row plates. I bought them and they are really nice and stout. Tested them out on my last trip through DV. Noticed you mentioned all four? Could have sworn there we're only three that they made for a tundra? Josh

2006 tundra DC 4wd sr5, toytech/bilstein lift, camberg ucas, SCS Stealth wheels, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/70/-17 tires, SG-II, Pioneer-Navi/DVD, ARE shell, full set of Skid Row plates, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, next? extra lighting and sound?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

According to Skid Row, they offer 4 items, on one to cover each of these areas: Front Skid, Engine Oil Pan Skid, Tranny Skid, Transfer Case

Rock Rated® Toyota Tundra Products - Skid Row Offroad

I ordered all 4 and they are waiting for me at 4 Wheel Parts. As soon as I pick them up I'll take some pictures of all the items.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 PM
Rookie

So the skid plates that come with the TRD package on the Tundra's are insufficient ??
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
So the skid plates that come with the TRD package on the Tundra's are insufficient ??
To say the least, that stamped metal won't protect from much. It is most assuredly insufficient for off-roading in the rocky mountains. I dunno about where you are...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Rookie

Rode dirt bikes in the rockies about 40 years ago back in the sawtooth mountain range around cooney flats near peaceful valley. Got a good idea about how big da rock gets back in da rockies. It was a blast. Now a days run mostly logging trails while out hunting or fishing. Had a CJ5, 82 Toy Trekker, now an 02 Tundra 4WD/TRD ext cab 4.7 . Have a whole lot of work to do on it to get it up to snuff.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 AM
Rookie

gari.pk/accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page