snatch strap hook up for getting vehile unstuck - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

snatch strap hook up for getting vehile unstuck

2017 tundra, crewmax 4x4. there are two tow hooks on teh front but I am wondering what there is a safe place to attach a Bubba Rope to the rear of my truck in order to pull a stuck vehicle out of deep sand or mud from the rear of my Tundra. I know not to use the ball on the trailer hitch, which makes sense but I am wondering if the cross bar of the hitch is strong enough. I do have the trailer towing package so I assume that the hitch itself is securely attached to the truck frame. I have seen the 2" receiver attachments with a shackle attached and I would prefer not to change out the ball receiver ever time i want to use it...Is that my best options? I do not see any tow points in there are like there are in the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:28 AM

Re: snatch strap hook up for getting vehile unstuck

The tow truck driver, that brought my Sequoia home the last time it would not start, was looking for a place to put his tie down straps on the front end. I suggested the 'tow hook' and he said that they break too easy. He placed his straps around the frame rails.

I would think that the ball on the trailer hitch would be strong enough to pull out a stuck vehicle; surely the cross bar would be too.

Mark
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Garage
Re: snatch strap hook up for getting vehile unstuck

Some good tips on how to recover as safely as possible can be found here: Recovery Straps - Tow Straps - Proper Usage. This can make sense in some situations such as a vehicle stuck in snow. For deep sand or mud or over an embankment, I would suggest a tow truck with heavy winch that can both lift and pull would be a better choice.

Quote:
Some older cars actually have tow hooks, but if not you must use your own judgment. Never attach a recovery strap to a vehicles bumpers, axles, suspension, steering rods, or a trailer hitch ball. The attach points must be to a secure place on the vehicles frame. Do not place the recovery strap on another vehicle in a way that it may be cut.
The 2" receiver attachment with a shackle attached is the best solution. I understand the main concern with using a trailer hitch ball is having the strap slip off and snapping back. Not ideal, but better to remove the draw bar and loop the strap around the 5/8" receiver pin than to use the hitch ball. (With the understanding that the pin might get bent and have to be cut out.) Have also seen it suggested to carry a 5/8" hitch pin from Tractor Supply Co or any Implement dealership. These are hardened steel and will hold up better than the stock receiver pin under this kind of abuse.

2012 Silver Sky Metallic Sequoia SR5 4WD 4.6L
TRD Pro eng skid, Or-Fab trans skid, custom transfer case skid, RCI gas tank skid, 1.75" lift with 6112 on lowest notch, Wheeler's Superbumps (front), Revtek 441R & 5100 (rear), Michelin Defender LT275/70R18 on MB Chaos +25, 3rd Row Removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page