Powertrax lock right locker - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Powertrax lock right locker

Alright y'all. I'm new to the forum and haven't posted anything. But I'm interested in what you all have to say. I'm thinking about putting this powertrax lock right 8.0 rear locker on my 2006 tundra. Any thoughts? Reliable? make any weird noises, vibrations? Does it actually work? And if not this one, which one would you recommend for the rear axle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Rookie

Re: Powertrax lock right locker

I put one in my 1983 Toyota 4x4 pickup in 1998, about 70,000 miles ago. Absolutely bulletproof, and works excellent off-road. However, on the street, it's pretty nasty. It snaps and pops, and going around corners on de-cel, I need to push in the clutch so the truck doesn't slide-hammer itself. This actually caused me to lose control and wreck in 1999 during a rainstorm. I would not recommend this unit for driving on pavement. While it's not as brutal as a spool, it's pretty gnarly for pavement....nothing at all like a limited slip with clutches. The unit works by square teeth that are held together under spring pressure going straight....and the springs 'unload' around corners, allowing the teeth to slip over each other, resulting in a loud clicking sound around corners, with associated lurching and popping as the axle locks and un-locks. A locker is deadly on side hills, too, if off-camber. The rear end wants to go downhill and take you off the trail. That said, it greatly improved my off-road abilities in general, as I can go places in 2wd with the locker that formerly required 4wd. For a mostly street driven vehicle, I would not install one. If you are in the dirt more often than not, they are well made, affordable, and totally bulletproof. My 2 cents.....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Rookie

So far I've used three of the lunchbox style ratcheting lockers. Two of the three have been awesome with the 1 outlier possibly being from a screw-up on my part during install.

1-Lock-rite on a Jeep Cherokee auto trans D44 rear. It was awesome and predictable. I did notice a little click click click when it would ratchet during coasting turns, but as soon as I'd put the foot down it could lock up and come around. I was alright with this because a little over-steer can come in very handy when the choice is spin out or catch a tire and roll. This was also handy in the snow. I cannot stand driving with ABS in the snow because if you try and use your brakes it decides if you can do anything besides pray. At least with the locker I could drop a gear and pitch the jeep around a corner if the steering wheel failed to adjust the attitude of the vehicle on slick surfaces. Drifting on dirt was very fun in this vehicle even if it was a little heavy up top.

2- richmond(I think) something or other lunchbox style locker on a Toyota Pickup 8" with manual trans. This was terrible and I actually don't think it ever slipped. I probably screwed something up on the install. It was basically a spool

3-spartan lunchbox style locker on a manual trans Ford Ranger. This thing is just as great as the Jeep was if not better. The truck is 2wd so the locker saves my bacon in the desert and the snow. The one issue is that with a lighter truck and 35x12.5" tires it sucks in the snow. Since the front tires don't do anything but sort of steer you will get a serious crab walk on snowy residential roads with a bigger arch in the middle. Think like driving in 70MPH crosswinds and noticing you are holding the wheel somewhere between 11 and 10. Without the locker I wouldn't be able to make it to work because I leave before the plows even make a dent some days. This truck has been near 100MPH on dirt, a little faster on pavement, driven through 2' of snow on residential streets, and it keeps ticking. Note that this locker and the manual transmission are much more sensitive to popping and chirping on pavement. You can't just give a tiny little bit of gas here and there in a corner or it will ratchet and pop and pop and so on. You just have to drive smooth. The Jeep with the auto trans didn't have this issue.

Long story short is I like lunchbox lockers for many reasons. You do have to own the car though. If you don't own the car it will own you. In the blink of an eye you can give it too much gas or pop the clutch at the wrong time and pitch the truck sideways and the only way you know what to do next is to get used to it playing around on dirt. I do a lot of playing on dirt pitching my trucks sideways and the few times I've needed the option it was there and it saved my day. The traction has also helped a bunch.

Last edited by KarmaKannon; 08-19-2018 at 09:15 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Supporter

Garage

The Powertrax Lock Right is fine in our tundras. With the longer wheel base, I hardly noticed it was there. You will hear the occasional chatter around turns, but as long as you coast around, you'll be fine. It's when you are in parking lots or making sharp turns is when you'll hear the lock right slam into gear. It'll freak you and anyone near you. I had one on for several years. Used the truck as a daily driver and offroading. Any tires larger than 35's you'll want a unit that replaces the carrier.

Weakest part of the Lockright is the pins that hold the side gears in place, I've snapped them and springs multiple times. Easy to fix though and after several times of this happening, the teeth will start to round out. The times where the pins broke was because of user error, too much skinny pedal.

If you want something that is more street friendly, check out the Powertrax no-slip. It's the same set-up as the lockright except it's designed for less chatter and the street.

I've had lunchbox lockers, no slips, detroit lockers and air lockers. All has their pros and cons. Only reason I didn't replace the lock right with another, my tire size increased in diameter.

~Mike
SAC'ed 2000 V8 tundra - http://dyogim.blogspot.com

Last edited by dyogim; 09-06-2018 at 08:56 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyogim View Post
The Powertrax Lock Right is fine in our tundras. With the longer wheel base, I already noticed it was there. You will hear the occasional chatter around turns, but as long as you coast around, you'll be fine. It's when you are in parking lots or making sharp turns is when you'll hear the lock right slam into gear. It'll freak you and anyone near you. I had one on for several years. Used the truck as a daily driver and offroading. Any tires larger than 35's you'll want a unit that replaces the carrier.

Weakest part of the Lockright is the pins that hold the side gears in place, I've snapped them and springs multiple times. Easy to fix though and after several times of this happening, the teeth will start to round out. The times where the pins broke was because of user error, too much skinny pedal.

If you want something that is more street friendly, check out the Powertrax no-slip. It's the same set-up as the lockright except it's designed for less chatter and the street.

I've had lunchbox lockers, no slips, detroit lockers and air lockers. All has their pros and cons. Only reason I didn't replace the lock right with another, my tire size increased in diameter.
I was pretty sure I would kill my Spartan locker on my ranger by now. With 35s and a good amount of clutch dumping on and off road I really have been impressed. I guess there is only so much 4.0 v6 in a light ranger can do. Sure makes dirt roads a hoot that's for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1st gen , locker , lockers , powertrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page