Starter keeps running even with relay removed - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Starter keeps running even with relay removed

So I went to tow a 94 Celica from my sister's house to my house. My sister said it made a god-awful noise when she tried to start it one morning and it remained running even when she took the key out. So when I go to jump it, it instantly starts cranking when I hook up the jumper cables. I pulled the starter relay thinking that would cut the circuit, but it starts cranking even with the relay removed. Does anybody know how this circuit operates? Should I go straight to changing the starter (bad solenoid) or change the ignition switch? Or the relay? I don't want to just throw money at it I'd like to pinpoint the problem if possible... any help out there? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 PM
DJ
Supporter

Re: Starter keeps running even with relay removed

It's a classic symptom of a stuck starter solenoid.

You can disconnect the big +12 cable from the solenoid, then connect the jumper cables again. If the key circuit is stuck closed, then you'll hear a big "click" from the solenoid when it engages. It won't start, as the solenoid cannot put current through the starter with the +12 cable disconnected. This will tell you if it's the solenoid (it doesn't "click") or the key circuit (it "clicks").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page