2007 Sequoia Shift Cable Repair/Replacement - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

2007 Sequoia Shift Cable Repair/Replacement

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

As my title states, my shifter cable end broke right at the linkage on the tranny. So, I guess I'm looking for a little advice/expertise if I were to fix myself. Does anyone know of any videos or Instructions online for this? I'm probably going to take it in but if I think it's something I can handle then I may give it a try.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Supercharged Member

Re: 2007 Sequoia Shift Cable Repair/Replacement

Anything's possible but that repair requires a lot of time and quite a bit of parts removal. Usually exhaust center pipe, heatshields, center console, shifter assembly, air box etc. Plus the shifter cable has to be reinstalled in a very specific order. You have to know proper alignment points on the tranny, the cable so you don't twist it, plus there's usually certain way to lock the cable to the shifter assembly itself or the entire thing goes out of alignment, as in your shifter says your in park but really your in reverse, not cool.
I did a quick look on youtube and most of the video's suck. Some guy who spends 10 minutes talking about his problem and showing 1 minute of work.
Maybe take a picture of the break and see if its at all repairable.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for the reply/advice. I started taking it apart and it doesn't look too terrible so far. I can get to both ends and can see the entire cable. Just had to drop the lower cowl under dash (literally 4 easy to get to bolts). Not a cheap cable though ($250)!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Supercharged Member

Well if your that far you might be ok. Just pay real close attention to the small details. There should be a paint line on the cable where it sets to the tranny, pretty sure that is supposed to be visible in the opening of the bracket, if that make sense. Otherwise you can end up with a twisted cable. Make sure the square collar on the stud is lined up with the shifter hole on the tranny etc. I don't know how your cable locks to the shifter but you need to make sure the tranny is in neutral and the shifter is also in neutral when you connect it all together. Install from the tranny first and work your way to the shift column inside the car. Even then sometimes you have to make some slight adjustments at the shifter end for proper alignment. Not sure what that connection looks like on a Sequoia but it can require a few adjustment turns to get proper neutral. Good luck and maybe takes some pictures along the way. No good info for you to off but maybe you can help someone else in the future.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.

Last edited by cheapskate; 04-29-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

So, I didn't get pictures but I can explain this repair for future reference. This was one of the easiest repairs I've ever done.

1. You need to drop the lower cowl (4 easy to get to screws).
2. I removed the screw (just 1 if I remember correctly) for the lower steer column cover but I don't think it made a difference
3. I then popped off the cable end from its little nipple in the column. You will need to contort your body just a little in order to see it on the
right side of the column. It hooks just inside the edge of the lower column cover. I popped it off with a screwdriver and some angled needle
nose pliers.
4. Once loose, the cable has a little plastic bracket attached to it that clips onto a metal bracket about 8 inches down the cable in the base of
the steering column. Just gotta pinch the side clips and push it through like any other clip.
5. The cable then feeds through the firewall and is very visible and relatively easy to do. Again, you may have to contort your body a little just
to see under the column to do this.
6. Once the cable is through the firewall and in the engine compartment, there is a little metal bracket that holds it, just pry open the bracket a
little and work the cable out of it. This bracket isn't even 100% necessary and is just cheap thin tin that I bent open a little. This bracket is
right there, easy to see near the top of the compartment.
7. The cable then curls down under the engine to another bracket with a weird metal clip, almost like a e-clip that holds the cable. THIS was the
hardest part of the job. I could NOT figure out how to get the cable out of this clip/bracket. Supposedly, a flat head screw driver will release
this clip but I had zero luck. I ended up forcing and prying and wedging it out with a screwdriver and a hammer from an awkward position. I
would definitely recommend buying this replacement clip when you buy the cable. I can't figure out for the life of me why it doesn't come
with, and it only costs like $3. This step took me over an hour I think - a LOT of swearing.
8. The final part is where the end connects to the shift linkage on the tranny. Super easy, just unscrew the nut on the bottom and pop the old
cable out of the bracket. Just make sure you're in the correct gear when installing the new cable and fully tighten.

Installation in reverse order. When it's all said and done, it's a pretty easy repair actually. I was shocked how accessible it was. I did NOT want to attempt this but glad I did. That clip underneath was the only problem.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page