Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Bilstein 6112 60mm Front Shocks for my 2006 Tundra Access Cab 4x4

15K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Localsnap88 
#1 ·
I'm starting a new thread because these actually exist now & I have them in my hot little hands. :smile2: This will be my build thread. Due to scheduling conflicts, it will probably be at least a few weeks before I can tackle this.

I ordered these off Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) & as you can see, my shocks weren't supposed to be delivered for another week or 2. They arrived today! They do not include a top plate so I ordered a pair of Moog plates, which should be here tomorrow. The first picture is what is included x2. The last pic is the 6112 next to a 5100. Looking forward to getting these installed.

I've had good luck with Bilsteins over the years, I like the ride they've given me. I only do light off-roading. I use this truck for my daily driver work truck & I often have to use parking garages, so 1-1.5 inch lift is all I feel comfortable with.

P/N 47-260337 for 2000 - 2006 Tundra front only. No part number listed for the rear.
Lift : 1" max for Access Cab, 2" max for DC.

Product page: Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

Instructions: http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/E4-WM5-Y509A00_0.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I got the rear 5160s for my Tundra today. Here it is compared to a standard 5100.

Attachments

#4 ·
bump - where's the review?

#6 ·
I just did the 6112's on the front and 5160's on the rear. I love them. I have them on the 4th notch. Only issue right now is my sway bar is disconnected so I can replace all the bushings. Took it in for a new alignment and they can't get a right pull out of it. I think I may have to replace the upper control arms. My tires used to be fine and then I had both lower control arms with ball joints replaced and my front tires started rubbing. I think new upper control arms will help fix the alignment.

Attachments

#9 ·
I had some 5100's on the front for the last 4-5 years on my 05 DC. Now both are blown after 25k miles of use. I'm reading your thread and wondering what you think? Im going to put some 5100's on the rear, because I already have a new set. I was also going to replace the ball joints, but didn't want to touch the arms. Thoughts?

#11 · (Edited)
Well, It's been awhile. Unfortunately I've had some health issues that have slowed me down some.

I finally got my Bilstein 6112 front and 5160 rear shocks installed about 6 months ago. I set the fronts at Bilstein's recommended max height for my Access Cab 4wd. I got about 1.25" of lift, but my starting point was a cheap aftermarket replacement shock & spring set. On the rear I added Wheeler's Offroad 1.5" add-aleaf springs. The ride is excellent on the street. I haven't been offroad yet. As seems typical for me, shortly after installing the shocks & springs, someone hit the front of my truck. Also a couple of hundred miles after the install, my CV boots started leaking.

When I finally was able to change the boots, I found that the previous owner had installed non-Toyota CV shafts, so the boots I had didn't fit properly. So after some thought, I ordered new Toyota CV Shafts, upper & lower ball joints & tie rod ends. That's my next project. I'm still not up to snuff, so it will likely be a slow process.

Anyway here's some pics of the install.
1: Bilstein 6112 front shock & spring.
2: Bilstein front 5100 vs 6112.
3: Bilstein rear 5160 vs 5100.
4: Bilstein 6112 vs Monroe Shock & spring.
5: Bilstein front 6112 installed.
6: Bilstein rear 5160 & Wheeler's add-a-leaf installed.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
I got about 1.25 inches of lift. I run with a fiberglass shell a probably 100 pounds or so of "stuff" in the back. I haven't really run with any weight. They are supposed to be progressive & the instructions say to remove the overload springs. If you run a lot of weight you might want to leave them in the pack.

This is the set I used
https://wheelersoffroad.com/i-25490...-mp3a-x2-whe-u7754x.html?ref=category:1387397

Reactions: t100forlife
#15 ·
I did the exact same thing. The truck drives and handles like a new truck. Only the front was raised and it’s level now. I got everything from 4 Wheel Parts and they did the install and the alignment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Hey Bullminer,
Is your truck a 4wd? If so, you said you installed the 6112s on 4th notch but did you mean you installed them at 4th on pass side and 6th notch on drivers side per Billsteins instructions for the about 1.3” expected lift for a 4wd? from measurements how much lift did you get- you do look fairly level but I assume your truck had more than 1.3” rake originally.. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.