2006 rear axle housing compatibility - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 rear axle housing compatibility

Hi all,

I've searched and searched but I can't find a definite answer to this question regarding a 2006 4wd Tundra:

If I am reusing my present rear differential, can I swap in an axle from any ABS equipped (2004?-2006) Tundra either 2wd, or 4wd?

I've read there are flange and rounding-error gear differences between 2wd and 4wd, but it isn't clear if these are the only differences. I've got a 2006 rusted rear end which is rusted out. It is very hard to find decent 2006es up in New England, so I'd like to widen my search parameters. I'm hoping that beyond the differential the only limiter is the ABS mounting stuff or not.

Is this correct? Worst case I could just take the axle housing, but I'd prefer drum-to-drum.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 PM

If it rusted out on the back "cover" one of these guys will fix you up for much cheaper than a whole rear axle.

http://www.barnes4wd.com/Toyota-T100...ver_p_359.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Re: 2006 rear axle housing compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
If it rusted out on the back "cover" one of these guys will fix you up for much cheaper than a whole rear axle.

Toyota T100, 1996 and Newer Tacoma and 1999-2006 Tundra Heavy Duty Differential Cover
Yeah, that's a good solution, especially after getting a couple of quotes on complete axles! I sort of figured that it would be less painful to just install a new axle, but in the end I guess it'll cost a lot more.

I previously welded the bottom to stop leaks, but then it started to leak from the top. So at least it stays full when you aren't moving.

I would like to know the final answer to this, but I do think that some more patching is in the future.

Thanks.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Rookie

Did you ever figure this out? I just bought an 04 housing for my 06. Should be here monday. Hopefully she fits.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Rookie

I completed my 04 to 06 axle housing swap and it's a perfect fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page