2007 Tundra vs Tacoma Towing MPG - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

2007 Tundra vs Tacoma Towing MPG

Hey guys... I posted a similiar post over in the Tundra section and really need some more imput about which truck to buy. I pull a 2100 pound 6x12 Enclosed trailer all day long about 24000 miles a year. I am sooo torn between getting the 5.7 Tundra Double Cab or a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab V-6. Obviously unloaded and in the real world gas mileage is going to be better with the Tacoma. But anyone know how much gas mileage i would be saving with a 2300 - 3000 pound trailer(loaded) if i went with the Tacoma? I actually like the Tacoma`s looks and non tank like feel. But gas is the killer. Anyone have experiences both ways or thoughts on how much if anything i would be saving in gas with the smaller truck. I realize the v-6 has to work harder than the new 6speed auto v8. I do about 40% highway and 60% city driving with my trailer for work. All responses are greatly appreciated as this is a truck im going to own hopefully for the next 8 yrs or so....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:24 PM

Re: 2007 Tundra vs Tacoma Towing MPG

For an 8 year truck I would go with a tundra.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:04 PM

gas mileage is important to me , and gas is way more expensive here in canada, so I have been watching the mileage the guys are getting with the 5.7 and aslo on this site for the tacoma before I bought one.

I get 22 mpg (US gal) highway at 65- 70mph with the 4 litre 4x4 and the automatic, so there is about 3-4 mpg difference in the two trucks.

I like the bigger truck and the taco seems so small after driving the tundra. If I was going to tow the number of miles you are talking, I would definately want the tundra, and with that load the difference in gas mileage would be insignificant.

One guy on this site posted that his mileage dropped 11 mpg when towing a sea-doo with his honda accord, but he saw no differnce in mileage when towing the same thing with his 2004 tundra !!

the 5.7 may even be easier on fuel !

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Marazzito Send a message via Yahoo to Marazzito

I am usually towing a 6,000 lb trailer with my Tacoma and I get 8-12 mpg's while towing. Up long grades 8 mpg super flat highway's 12 and that is with a tail wind. My trailer is a car trailer with my Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 so not as much wind resistance as a travel trailer. I tow a couple times a month any where from 150-750 miles a month. The Tacoma is a great little tow vehicle that makes a great dailey driver as well. The Tacoma will more than handle your trailer as well. But if you are going to have the trailer hooked up all the time, you may want to go with the Tundra. The 4.7 is a good engine to, but if I were to get a Tundra I would deffinetly go with th 5.7.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Lurking Member

Cool Re: 2007 Tundra vs Tacoma Towing MPG

For that many miles a year Towing you should be looking into a Full size.... Heck, mabey even go with a used 2001 to early 2003 Cummins Powered Dodge! You will not even know that the trailer is there and you will have way more Room than the Tacoma. Fuel Mileage will be around 18 MPG with that trailer and the Maintenance will run cheaper in the long run. This is what I would buy if I were going to be using the truck for eneryday towing and intended to keep the truck for 5+years. The resale value is great on anything with a Cummins Engine also. Check Diesel Truck Rescource for all the information you could ever need if you might want to look that way. I know that leaving Toyota for a Dodge will get flames all day long but we are talking a whole different game here with what you are doing. The Tundra will get 13-14 MPG at best with the driving that you will be doing. If you were more Highway then I would agree with the Tundra or Tacoma. But coming from a Cummins Powered Truck for the last 6 years- - - - -If you need to tow something go CUMMINS! JB

2007-Dark Blue-Tacoma-Crew-4X4-SR5-Manual! 265/75/r16 BFG TA/KO's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Deep Diamond Plated Tool Box, SpringField XD-9mm in Consol!
The rest stock for now but looking into spending somemore money real quick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
SOLD-2006, Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, LWB, Quad Cab, SLT! No need for the Goat anymore but still swear by the Cummins Engine!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Marazzito Send a message via Yahoo to Marazzito

I disagree. A 3,000 lb trailer the Tacoma wouldn't break a sweat and you would probably get 14 mpg. With how well my Tacoma tows, and all the stuff I have heard about the new Tundra's towing I am sure the Tundra wouldn't even feel a 3,000 lb trailer at all, especially the 5.7 liter. The Tundra would probably be getting 14 mpg to. True, a deisel will always beat a gas powered engine when it comes to towing. A 3,000 trailer would not be a notable advantage for a diesel though, probably none at all when compared to the 5.7 liter.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

You guys are awesome.. thanks for all the info so far.. really helps to hear people with real world experiences with their trucks. My dodge dakota is good to get 10 mpg with the trailer so im really hoping for something significantly better.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

I wish I had weighed the trailer... but with the biggest uhaul trailer I got anywhere between 11.27-14.78 mpg. This was driving from Albuquerque to Charlotte, NC, so there were plenty of mountains and high speed limits. And of course stop and go traffic going through construction zones, etc.

For a load, I had basically all of my possessions, clothes, books, important papers, computer, computer desk and chair, foot locker, 3 medium sized tool boxes, 2 bicycles and cycling gear, air bed, kitchen gear, etc. Most of the furniture stayed behind.

The trailer weighs 1800 lbs empty. Anybody have a wild guess on how much my stuff would weigh?

It would be a hard decision to figure which truck would be more suitable. If you tow only 3000 lbs the Tacoma wouldnt be working too hard, but if its everyday the Tundra might provide the added benefit of its extra power, payload cap and its weight. Definitely, either way have e-brakes installed on the trailer.

Roger
05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD DC Off-Road
Shrockworks Front Bumper, K&N Intake/AEM Filter, XM Satellite, Retrax Tonneau Cover and Yakima track rack system, OEM roof rack
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Lurking Member

Smile Re: 2007 Tundra vs Tacoma Towing MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpjump View Post
You guys are awesome.. thanks for all the info so far.. really helps to hear people with real world experiences with their trucks. My dodge dakota is good to get 10 mpg with the trailer so im really hoping for something significantly better.
Yea the Dakota is not even allowed in this comparison!
3000 pounds worth of Towing, Day in and out- - - - - - A gas engine will SUCK FUEL waaaaaaaayyyyyyy more than any Diesel Powered Truck! I hope that 3,000 pounds behind the Tacoma is as easy for it as you all claim!??? I had a Dump trailer that was 4,000 pounds dry and I'm sorry buy you knew it was back there with a 2500 truck and any Gas Truck would definatly not get better than 12mpg on HIGHWAY pulling that thing. NOW, if you were pulling it up and down the Road all day long with very little Stop and Go then I would say stick with the Medium/Full Size 1500 Trucks. But the main thing is buy what you want. You will have to live with your descision for a while so be happy with the purchase. Then tow the trailer!

2007-Dark Blue-Tacoma-Crew-4X4-SR5-Manual! 265/75/r16 BFG TA/KO's
, Deep Diamond Plated Tool Box, SpringField XD-9mm in Consol!
The rest stock for now but looking into spending somemore money real quick
!
SOLD-2006, Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, LWB, Quad Cab, SLT! No need for the Goat anymore but still swear by the Cummins Engine!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
mhx
Rookie

get the tundra hands down...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:16 PM

06 4X4 DC Taco with auto. Towing my trailer with a polaris ranger on it . I get 13 to 14 mpg. My truck empty on the hwy at 65 -70 gets 19-20 mpg.
My wife's 04 Tundra 4X4 DC with the 4.7 V8 gets about the same towing it, but only gets about 16 on the hwy empty. Kinda shows you how much more mpgs you lose with the taco & towing compared to a tundra.

2006 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab Sport Pkg,
DR Coilovers
Super Springs
265/70/17 BFG A/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page