TPMS sensor replacement - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

TPMS sensor replacement

Greetings,
New member.
Spent the afternoon searching the forums about Toyota TPMS systems.
My '05 Tundra SRS has had a blinking tire sensor light for four months and was driving me nuts.
I ended up replacing the sensors because I do a lot of driving over the road in more or less remote areas.
Figured it might also help if I sold the vehicle to have new sensors rather than disabling or crippling the system.

Here are some notes I made for myself during the process:
Solid on light is low tire pressure. Blinking on light is bad sensor somewhere. Sensors have lithium battery rated for 5-7 years. I got ten out of mine. Systematically lowering and driving and then refilling each tire, it looked like only one sensor was really talking with the system. There is no way to tell otherwise with out a programmer.

Talked to a rep at Bartec who makes programmers. Normal ODB 2 will not deal with TPMS ECU programming. Neither will more extensive code machines. Takes a special programmer. TPMS ECU supposedly talks with main engine ECU but don't know that for sure.

OEM unit was Pacific, 42607-0C010 is my part number for '05 Tundra. Made in Japan. Other good brands supposedly are Schrader 33000 programmable or 28300, or NAPA 92-1049 or 92-1051 or Redi-Sensor 7002 (made in Mexico)

Discount Tire said they had 7002 in stock but when I got down there all they could come up with was 7002A which had a slightly higher pressure rating and would work fine.

Cost was $60 per tire and installation included balancing and programming the ECU. Also has new stem parts and caps
Took 45 minutes to do all five, no problems so far. $324 total.

Dealer estimated cost was $700-800 if I did all of them. Said that they expected they would soon be dealing with a lot of this issue since law was passed in 2008.

Multiple posts about having to be careful on dismounting tire. If not done properly can break the sensors. Toyotas have solid stems on outside which theoretically can break easier if driven in off road or rough situations.

Dave A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Garage
Re: TPMS sensor replacement

Along the same lines, I bought 4 alloy rims to replace the steel rims on my 2014 Tundra. The alloys didn't come with new lug nuts so I went on eBay and bought 20 of them for $69.95 (free shipping). The dealer was going to charge me almost $10 per lug nut, so OEM off eBay was the way to go.

Took the alloy rims to Discount Tire and had them dismount the four tires from them, mount the four from my steel wheels. TPMS sensors were $60 apiece as Dave can attest and out the door for $400. Had I not gotten the four alloy rims for $100, I'd be out a lot more. Also, the steel rim TPMS sensors would not fit the alloy rims. I believe its a different angle (20 degrees difference) for anyone out there who is in the seat I was in a week ago.

$100 - alloy wheels
$69.95 - lug nuts
$400 - TPMS and mount/dismount/disposal fees at Discount Tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page