No mods wheel fitment - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

No mods wheel fitment

I have an 06 double cab and am wanting some wheels, my question is what off set should I get so I will not have to do any modifications to my truck. I don't want to cut anything and would like wider tires. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Re: No mods wheel fitment

I'd like to go with a 17" or 18" wheel.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM

The stock 17" Tundra wheels are 7.5" wide, +18mm offset.

Are you looking for OEM Toyota wheels, or aftermarket? The latest 4Runner wheels bolt right on, and have +15mm offset....I'm mounting up a set on my '06 Double Cab tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 DC - Phantom Gray

Purchased Jan 2015 with 17,500 original miles! - Gently used "grocery getter" for a little old lady in California.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05293 View Post
The stock 17" Tundra wheels are 7.5" wide, +18mm offset.

Are you looking for OEM Toyota wheels, or aftermarket? The latest 4Runner wheels bolt right on, and have +15mm offset....I'm mounting up a set on my '06 Double Cab tomorrow.
Let me know if you have any rubbing,that my concern.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irastoy View Post
Let me know if you have any rubbing,that my concern.
I would like some wider tires like maybe 10,or 12 inches. I'd settle for 9 but the stock seems narrow to me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Rookie

Everything should fit unless you're thinking about steel wheels but I doubt you are.

Just ensure that you get the right spoke pattern for your model and you have a backspace of 18+ or less. My recommendation is 0 to -10. They give the trucks a wider stance and more flush with the body looking from the side.

Tires come to the question when you're questioning fit. I'm sure you can find easy threads about max width and height for the tire/wheel combination you're wanting.

As for the 10-12 inch wide wheels. No. Unless you have a 6inch lift they're very unnecessary and basically look goofy IMO. An 18x9 with -10mm offset with at least 4.5 backspacing with a 285/55/18 tire will give you the wide stance you're looking for.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson James View Post
Everything should fit unless you're thinking about steel wheels but I doubt you are.

Just ensure that you get the right spoke pattern for your model and you have a backspace of 18+ or less. My recommendation is 0 to -10. They give the trucks a wider stance and more flush with the body looking from the side.

Tires come to the question when you're questioning fit. I'm sure you can find easy threads about max width and height for the tire/wheel combination you're wanting.

As for the 10-12 inch wide wheels. No. Unless you have a 6inch lift they're very unnecessary and basically look goofy IMO. An 18x9 with -10mm offset with at least 4.5 backspacing with a 285/55/18 tire will give you the wide stance you're looking for.
Thank you very much.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson James View Post

Ok now I'm curious - what difference would steel wheels make? I'm considering pro comps for my 03 Tundra, if I don't get 2017 OEM Tacoma wheels.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemic View Post
Ok now I'm curious - what difference would steel wheels make? I'm considering pro comps for my 03 Tundra, if I don't get 2017 OEM Tacoma wheels.
From what I've read steel wheels don't have the correct backspacing needed for our trucks
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irastoy View Post
I'd like to go with a 17" or 18" wheel.
I just replaced the stock 17" wheels on my '06 DC....I was planning to give my old ones to my father in law for his truck, but he's old school, and likes the steelies.

Where are you located? If you're interested in buying my stock 17's, I can make you a good deal on them. :-)

Send me a PM with your contact info, and I'll send you some pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 DC - Phantom Gray

Purchased Jan 2015 with 17,500 original miles! - Gently used "grocery getter" for a little old lady in California.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 AM
Lurking Member

Garage
So will a aftermarket wheel with backspace of 5 and zero offset work. I always hear 4.5bs is magic number. And the guy at 4x4 shop says that -12 to - 1 will fit but I don't trust that guy haha this is rim I'm thinking about. With 5100s and 285/70/17 tires 17/9 rim
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1283_1487772224981.PNG (1.11 MB, 81 views)

Last edited by cary970; 02-22-2017 at 06:48 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary970 View Post
So will a aftermarket wheel with backspace of 5 and zero offset work. I always hear 4.5bs is magic number. And the guy at 4x4 shop says that -12 to - 1 will fit but I don't trust that guy haha this is rim I'm thinking about. With 5100s and 285/70/17 tires 17/9 rim

I don't think the 285 will fit on stock height without rubbing. I used to have a 2001 Tundra AC, Limited, 4x4. I installed 285/75/16 BFG AT on the TRD Ivan Stewart rims (0 offset I believe) & they rubbed at full lock going up driveways. (rear outer side of the front wheel well & lightly on the front frame area. I installed Performance Products progressive rate front springs which gave me about a 1 3/4" lift. I didn't have any rubbing issues after that.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05293 View Post
I just replaced the stock 17" wheels on my '06 DC....I was planning to give my old ones to my father in law for his truck, but he's old school, and likes the steelies.

Where are you located? If you're interested in buying my stock 17's, I can make you a good deal on them. :-)

Send me a PM with your contact info, and I'll send you some pictures.
What size tires are you running on those snowflakes? I have stock 17's and looking to change them out, but I believe the snowflakes are 7" rims while the stocks are 7.5". I'm running 265/65/17 now.

Thanks in advance.
Rick
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorick View Post
What size tires are you running on those snowflakes? I have stock 17's and looking to change them out, but I believe the snowflakes are 7" rims while the stocks are 7.5". I'm running 265/65/17 now.

Thanks in advance.
Rick
Sorry for the late reply.....didn't see the notification that you'd quoted my post.

Tires are 265/65-17's. They're the Toyo Open Country dealer take-offs from a '17 Tacoma.

The wheels are from a '17 4Runner.....backspacing is only 3mm difference, not 1/2".

The Tacoma wheels are the ones that have the deeper offset, and could cause rubbing. 4Runner wheels are pretty much a straight swap.

'06 DC - Phantom Gray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page