My heated seat caught fire!!! - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

My heated seat caught fire!!!

I have a 2007 Tundra Crew Max. After I bought it new, I had Red Rock Katzkin leather put in the front and rear seats. Had heated and cooled seats put up front and heated only in the rear.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, last Staurday while driving the truck started smelling funny. Then shortly there after started filling up with smoke. The back seat on the passenger side had caught on fire from the heated seat!

They have been in for right over 3 years now. Rear is rarely ever sat in. Check this out........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat.jpg (30.9 KB, 958 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Supporter

Re: My heated seat caught fire!!!

The only option you have is to file an insurance claim and let them fight with Toyota about it.

'19 SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps
ARE MX cap
Toyota bed step

Weathertech Vent Visors
Ultragauge EM
Techstream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CBTMA member

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Was this a factory heated seat kit?

04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Supporter

Holy smokes!

2008 Tundra 5.7L RCSB 2WD Supercharged, Auburn LSD, IPT Valvebody, Sequoia swaybar, BAM stainless custom exhaust, etc...

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM

If it's an AFTERMARKET heating/cooling seat install, that's NOT Toyotas issue.

2009 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 5.7L - Pyrite Mica
Tow Package
Tow Mirrors
OEM Drop in Bed Liner
OEM Fog Lights
15% Tint all around
EGR Bug Deflector
Westin Platinum oval step tubes (black)
USA-Spec ipod PA15
Toyota Homelink/Compass Mirror
K&N drop in filter
Firestone Air Bags

2012 Wildwood T26RKS travel trailer..
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Garage

Geez, that could be a ball scorcher.
I think I'd be disconnecting the rest.
Everyone OK?

2006 Tundra StepSide
2010 Honda CR-V
2000 Isuzu Trooper

Red Adair- "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM

damn, what a hot tamale......

Phuong C Nguyen

*Homelink Rearview Mirror, *Paramount Grille, *Tinted Front 2 Doors
*All White LED Interior, *Line-X, *6K 35W HID for Lows, *L.A.H.M
*ATC Tonneau Cover, *OEM Fog Lights, *BHLM, *Debadged
*True Duals on Dual Glasspacks, *aFe Stage 2 CAI w/ Ramoine Mod
*Bilstein 5100 Shocks-Front & Rear, *The Stubby Antenna by CS
*18x9 XD Monsters +18mm offset, *Nitto Terras
275/65
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Mark it eight, Dude...

Send a message via Yahoo to MaylonTRD

Maybe call the heater manufacturer but if you installed them yourself they may claim it was improperly installed. I'm thinking insurance? If the only damage is to the seat you could just buy a seat from a salvage and have it recovered. However, I wouldn't be using those heaters anymore...

2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Supercharged Member

Crazy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM

glad nobody was in 'the hot seat'...this brings new meaning to the term 'light a fire under their ass'
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

yup. its not a toyota issue...its whomever installed the aftermarket seat heaters and or the heating element manufacturers

2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppy View Post
what barney said sounds reasonable
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

|
|
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Would you happen to know the brand so that the rest of us won't make that mistake?

>>big$$

========================================
SR5 Dbl Cab 2009, 4x4, 5.7L, Flex Fuel, Desert Sand Mica, Tow Pkg, Cold Pkg, Ventashades, Bugflector II, AMP Bumper Step, OEM All weather mats, Line-X, OEM Chrome Running Bds, Underseat Rear Storage, OEM Sill Protectors, Chrome Tailgate edges, Chrome Lic Plate Frame, aFe Pro Dry-S Air Cleaner, Charcoal Air Filter Mod; Visor Labels Mod; Fog Lights Mod; DRL Off Mod; Extra Loud Horn Mod, OEM SS Exhaust Tip
"We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry and grasping at the spoils of the multitude." - Thomas Paine (1737-1809) Patriot
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) U. S. President
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
glad nobody was in 'the hot seat'...this brings new meaning to the term 'light a fire under their ass'
also makes me wonder why the heating element was turned on w/no one in the seat? i know some manufacturers OEM ones wont come on unless someone is in the seat...wondering if theres a reason for it...llike maybe the constant heat source from below with nothing above to absorb the heat etc is a fire hazard?

2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:
Quote:

|
|
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Mark it eight, Dude...

Send a message via Yahoo to MaylonTRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife View Post
also makes me wonder why the heating element was turned on w/no one in the seat? i know some manufacturers OEM ones wont come on unless someone is in the seat...wondering if theres a reason for it...llike maybe the constant heat source from below with nothing above to absorb the heat etc is a fire hazard?
I seriously doubt a company would make a seat heater that's only safe of the seat is occupied.

2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaylonTRD View Post
I seriously doubt a company would make a seat heater that's only safe of the seat is occupied.
true.....but also i think OEM ones switch off after a while dont they? like a rear window defroster? i bet these aftermarket ones just stay on forever and theres little to no high limit switch cutoff or anything on them...hmmmm......perhaps thats why the aftermarket ones have gotten so cheap...they just wire up and get hot and thats it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:
Quote:

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page