LED in the Door Handle - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

LED in the Door Handle - "BMW Style" with a Twist

So after many requests I have made a DIY of the for the LED in the door handle that I did for my truck. Hope this helps everyone with there questions. This is kinda of a continuance of jeepnuts311 post of the BMW lights thread(Here). Got the idea from him and added my own twist to it(thx jeepnuts311!). I am assuming you have already ran the wire to the door handle that jeepnuts311 explained.

Step1:
Remove the 2 half's of the door handle with the screw. I was not able to get it off with a screw driver or a regular drill. I had to use a impact drill and one person to hold the handle and the other unscrew it. Takes a lot of pressure on the impact drill to remove the screw.

Step2:
Drill one hole for the LED in the middle of the back side of the handle. Then test fit the LED so the top part of the LED is in the hole. Then drill a hole for the wire to go through on the other side.

Step3:
Hold the LED in place and glue it down. Also glued part of the wire down so it doesnt move around and on the part where the wire goes out side of the handle.

Step4:
Test it and make sure it works

Step5:
Place the two half's back together and screw it back. Make sure you move the wire to the side so it doesnt get in the way of the screw.

Step6:
Place the wire through the opening of the hole towards the right side. Then place the handle back on and then end cap back on.

Now that your are all done, stand back and admire the work.

Now lets see someone do it for a crewmax please

2008 Tundra 5.7 4x4 LTD Silver w/Navi, XM, & Memory
TRD Rear sway bar, VLED Cab lights, Longo LED Tail lights, Recon LED CCL's
GTek DSP, Custom LEDs for rear seats, LED Puddle lamps, Duplicolor Bed Armor
Toyota Painted Fender flares, Painted Door Handles w/LED's
Magnaflow Dual CAT Back, AFE Cold Air, Bilstein 5100 front/back
Procomp 8128 18in w/285 65 18 BFG AT/KO, Front & Rear Weathertechs

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Supercharged Member

Re: LED in the Door Handle

This is awesome! Your truck looks great with these. Where is the switch or how do they turn off? I have a crewmax, but there is no way I am attempting this. I would definitely pay someone to do it though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Driving A Dream!
Slate Metallic SR5 4X2 5.7 Crewmax/15% tinted windows/ navigation/back-up camera/JBL System w-Sub/ steering wheel audio controls/Bluetooth/LineX/bed extender/Weathertechs/bucket seats/moonroof/ VIPER 5900/fully debadged/AVS Visors/Tundra Sills/Uncle Mike's Paddle Holster Mount/UnderCover/Carriage Works Polished Grille 5-Piece/PUTCO Pedals/Sport Shifter/ Smoked Headlights-Taillights-3rd Brake Light/ Tinted PIAA Fog Lights/22" Color Matched KMC 652Wheels/ 305-45-22 General Grabbers/Borla Dual Split Rear Exit 2 in and 2 Out Exhaust/Billet 14" Antenna/ Rear Sway Bar/VLEDS in Cab,Cargo/painted TRD CAI and engine cover/AutoDimming Mirror/Headrest DVD Players/Magnetic Gun Mount/Doug Thorley Long Tubes/URD Rear Sim/Stebel Big Daddy Horn/TR Lowering Kit 2051/TRDSPARKS Fender Flares/Plasma Glow LED Kits Under and Wheel Wells/Color Matched Mirror Caps *Clazzios To Come
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM

They are wired to the small light on the bottom side of the dash underneath the steering wheel. It dims on and off with your interior lights.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm definitely going to do this one instead of jeepnuts. No offense jeepnuts, this BMW light mod is an awesome mod and right now I have them set up like jeep's, but after seeing this I might have to change

2007 Toyota Tundra DC Black
-18x9 Ballistic Wizard +14 offset
-Hankook Dynapro ATM 275/70/18 (33's)
-Rough Country 3" Leveling kit w/ 1" rear block
-15% tint (5% back glass)
-Chrome Billet Grill
-Volant CAI
-Black Headlight Mod
-Go Rhino Dominator II side steps
-Dual 2.5" Powersticks
-Westin Light Bar with 4 Hella 500ff driving lights
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Rut Ro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopitup3 View Post
I'm definitely going to do this one instead of jeepnuts. No offense jeepnuts, this BMW light mod is an awesome mod and right now I have them set up like jeep's, but after seeing this I might have to change
Do'em both!!! That is what I am thinkin' of doing. What about a DIY for the rears please?

"They Were Just Jealous That My Tundra Pulled More Kitties Than A Bowl Of Milk"

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jeepnuts311

Nice. I set mine up this way because I wanted some light on the ground, but this really adds a great accent to the truck.

Why did it take an impact? Was it on there that tight, or was the inner nut spinning?

-Tim

2008 Tundra RCSB, Slate Metallic, Sport Appearance Package
5.7L, 6 Speed, 4.10s
McGaughy's 4"/6" drop
22" Boss 331s wrapped in Nitto 305/40
Custom true duals with X-pipe, 18" Magnaflow
Black headlights, anytime fogs
Hella Celis LED taillights
20% tint on stock privacy glass
35w 6000k HID lows and fogs
Superflux LEDs custom installed in door handles
Homelink Auto-Dim mirror w/ compass and LED console light

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnuts311 View Post
Nice. I set mine up this way because I wanted some light on the ground, but this really adds a great accent to the truck.

Why did it take an impact? Was it on there that tight, or was the inner nut spinning?

-Tim
It was on that tight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Back from the dead!

Looks good..

2007 RCSB |5.7 | TRD SC | JBA Headers | Auburn LSD
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Senior Contributor

how did u mount the rears.....MM and i wanna know...

2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppy View Post
what barney said sounds reasonable
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
what barney said sounds reasonable

|
|
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Supporter

VooDooDan, I have found a pack of small LED sealed amber, about a 1' long in a small tube all most flat. If i mount this on the underside of my mirror shouldn't i be able to tap wire and push wire through and down in to the door to under the dash. I would like to tie it to the appropriate blinker for that door. If concept works I would have amber led under my mirror working in conjunction with my flashers when operating. The small led is about a inch long, maybe 1/2" wide and 3/8ths" tall. I was looking at putting one under each mirror to sync with the flashers. Any idea if it sounds worth it. I think my hardest part will be to find the proper wire tie into for right and left...
zeeya

TRD Supercharger, TRD Sway bar, 2.5 Readylift, Color matched door handles, Platinum wheels, Firestone Destination LE-2's, V-1 w/remote, Underseat storage, Limited Grill swap, Rearview w/homelink swap, Corsa Sport,Bed Rug, ARE Bed Cover, Katskin custom seating, Recon light bar, Weathertech, Bull Bar, Complete V-Led interior, Factory Cat delete (all 4) and installed 2 Magnaflow Hi-flow cats in there place
1/4 mile = 13.3 @ 103.2
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Rut Ro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeya2000 View Post
VooDooDan, I have found a pack of small LED sealed amber, about a 1' long in a small tube all most flat. If i mount this on the underside of my mirror shouldn't i be able to tap wire and push wire through and down in to the door to under the dash. I would like to tie it to the appropriate blinker for that door. If concept works I would have amber led under my mirror working in conjunction with my flashers when operating. The small led is about a inch long, maybe 1/2" wide and 3/8ths" tall. I was looking at putting one under each mirror to sync with the flashers. Any idea if it sounds worth it. I think my hardest part will be to find the proper wire tie into for right and left...
zeeya
Check out this turn signal mod.

"They Were Just Jealous That My Tundra Pulled More Kitties Than A Bowl Of Milk"

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Supercharged Member

Marky, that's sweet! But is it noticeable during the day?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark View Post
Check out this turn signal mod.

marky where did you find this??????? wheres the right up for that I like that alot!!!

2008 Tundra Double Cab Blue
Carrige works grill
8000K HID halo headlights

More Mods to come.....

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeya2000 View Post
zeeya
I dont think it would be a problem to do, but I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. Looks like you have a SR5 tundra and I think most of them are already wired for turn signals already. I think the only way you wouldnt have it is if you had the SAP package.

Also the LED's might be to big if they are a inch long. I would look for a orange weather proof LED strip that can be cut to size.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07DCwhiteSR5 View Post
how did u mount the rears.....MM and i wanna know...
If you look inside the door handle you will see a small flat part that will be pointing right at you if you look inside the handle when you open it. I drilled one small hole for it.

When I did the back doors I didnt have my camera at the time so I dont have any photos.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page