Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’ve been doing my research on here but I’m confused about something. If I’m throwing both of these codes, does that mean that there are two potential sensors I need to replace? 0031 seems common but I’m confused about 0051.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
They're cheap enough I'd just replace both upstream sensors. The sensors use a heater to get them up to temperature faster and it sounds like you've got one that failed along with the other sensor just generally failing. These guys are what you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're cheap enough I'd just replace both upstream sensors. The sensors use a heater to get them up to temperature faster and it sounds like you've got one that failed along with the other sensor just generally failing. These guys are what you want.
Well thank you sir, I just ordered those and then went under the truck and hit the two sensors with as much PB blaster as I could.

Tomorrow I’m going to get some sensor wrenches and give it a whirl.

I’m without a lift/safe big jack so I’m just gonna go under with the wrench and hope they come out without too much trouble.

Any tips are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
Should be enough room. I did mine in the driveway maybe on a set of ramps. The worst part of the deal is getting the wiring connectors apart.

On the wrench, hit up Advance and pick up the offset rental one they've got. With that and a 1/2 drive breaker bar it should be quick work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Code P0051 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Prematurely replacing the heated oxygen sensor before attempting to visually inspect the wiring around the oxygen sensor for chafed/frayed wiring.

Tools Needed to Diagnose Code P0051:

How to Diagnose and Repair Code P0051:
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair – (3 out of 5)

1. Check to see if there are any other codes along with P0051 and clear your Check Engine Light.
  2. Conduct a visual inspection of bank 2 pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor wiring for fraying and/or disconnection.
  3. Check the ground side of the O2 sensor’s heater circuit for continuity to ground. It should have good continuity; if it doesn’t, repair wiring.
  4. With the engine off and the key “on”, use a voltmeter to check for approximately 12 volts (should be the same voltage the vehicle battery is at) on the power side of the O2 sensor heater.
    1. If no voltage is registered, check the fuse; if the fuse is good, consider repairing short/open in heater circuit wiring.
    2. If low voltage is measured, check for high resistance in the wiring.
    3. If the voltmeter registers 12 volts, consider replacing the heated oxygen sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts