Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried finding this info, but first the story.

My friend told me his 2006 Silverado 4x4 longbed auto v6 can beat my 07 Taco DC SB V6 auto in the 1/4. I don't think this is true.

Can anyone point me to a link/report/story that has the 2006 GMC Silverado V6 auto's times? I know these trucks are not drag racers, but you know how it is between friends....

Thanks for settling the armchair racing debate!

·
Registered
115 Posts
According to "Consumer Reports", the GMC built V-6, which is available in a couple of GMC/Chevrolet Full Size pickup chassis, is 195 HP.

The 4.0 Liter Taco V-6 was/is 245 HP. They ...(whoever "They" is) have changed the way they rate HP so now they call it 236 HP. Offhand, I don't know the weights of the GMC Vs. Taco, but I'd guess the GMC, being Full Size would have to be heavier. SO: The Taco with considerably more HP and less weight would WAX the V-6 GMC.

Less Weight, More HP, always seems to work, but I could be wrong. TacoGuy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe with a rocket pushing his truck. My dad has 94 1500 "work truck" regular cab auto with the 4.2 v6. It takes forever to get up to speed.
If that version is so fast why do they put a V8 in most of them?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You probably won't find any info on it as motor trend and alike companies usually only test vehicles with the bigger or most popular motor option in them. No one buys a full size truch with a v6 in them now days except businesses for the most part. If you want to find out stats on that motor you'll have to look back to a older S10 more than likely, which would be faster than a half ton. I will tell you this, your new tacoma will smoke your buddies truck easily. I would guess my new tacoma would've beat my 2000 GMC K1500 with the 5.3L also! I would guess high 9's 0-60 for that silverado on a good day. I think i remember truck trend's 0-60 #'s showing the Tacoma's time @7.3 and a Silverado w/5.3 @7.8 seconds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: turns out his truck is a 4.7 (or is it 4.8 liter) V8. But from what I've scoured from the net, my 07 Taco DC SB TRD Offroad should give it to him good.

I read one test that gave my truck a 6.9s to 60, but I find that hard to believe. My ride has only 175 miles on it, but they're quality "break in" miles, haha. Also learning how to launch it so I can an extra nanosecond off the start which should translate well into the end of the quarter (he's insistant he'll get me at the end).

Where's my video camera???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was great!!!
What technique do you use on the start? I presume it's not in 4wd for the launch?

You leave it in D or 4, and just nail it after doing a slight powerbrake?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts