Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK people, I have a Leer 100R and just can't get over the fit on the side rails. Too much of a gap, lines don't flow nicely. Now it is an over the rail model (skirts) and it has a large gap between where the skirt ends and the truck bed begins. I'm thinking it may sit better without the plastic bed rail caps on. I realize the design has limits because of the bed rail caps, but I'd like the cap to sit more flush with the edge of the bed.

Has anyone installed one (or a Snugtop/ARE cap with skirts) without the plastic bed rail caps on? Does it sit better on the truck (more flush)? Any issue with paint rubbing off?

I know these pics aren't the best, but I can upload more if needed.

Thanks for any ideas/comments/pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remove the plastic bed rail covers.

Underneath you'll find 28 holes (on each side) My line-x dealer patched these holes and it looks great.

The canopy lines fit better

You'll also notice that the Factory Bed Rails will rub paint.

I'll post some pictures

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks for posting that hemp....I was on the verg of getting a use one just like yours for $600. Let us know how things work out cause im looking to get rid of my lumber rack for a shell. Where did you get your from btw?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove the plastic bed rail covers.

Underneath you'll find 28 holes (on each side) My line-x dealer patched these holes and it looks great.

The canopy lines fit better

You'll also notice that the Factory Bed Rails will rub paint.

I'll post some pictures

I was thinking about getting another roll of the Lund Tailgate Seal material and snipping off the single walled strip (where the adhesive tape is) and lining the top, inside edge of the skirt with it.

I was going to take a marker and draw a line on the inside of the skirt where the plastic bed rail ends. When I take the cap off I’ll have a reference point of where I’ll need to place the trimmed tailgate seal material. Then I can install the rubber tailgate seal material above the line and it will rub the outside edge of the bed above where the plastic bed rail caps sit. This should give me about an 1/8” gap between the skirt and the side of the bed instead of the ¾” gap I have now.

I’m really not to worried about paint rubbing off on the top and top outer edge of the bed as long as the bed rail caps will cover it when I take the shell off for getting loads of wood/rock/etc. As the shell basically lives on the truck (we do a ton of truck camping, sleeping in the bed out in the forest and whatnot) I’m really more concerned about how the shell looks on the truck as long as no paint will rub off below the line where the bed rail cap sits.

Geez, hope that makes sense…?! When I read it back to myself I kinda confuse myself…and I have the picture in my mind of exactly what I want to accomplish.

Phantom Tundra: If you could post or email me some pics that’s be great, I’d really appreciate it.

Tazilla: Got my shell in Santa Rosa @ Truck Tops USA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts