Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Thanks for the informative write-up! Another way to put your speedo needle on fairly accurately is while the engine is ON and at idle, replace the needle at "0" mph. That's how I did mine and it checked out against the GPS.

Take note of your needles while the engine is OFF and while it's ON, both initially and at operating temps. And replacing needles will be more clear. But if you have a Scangauge or Ultragauge, the task will be cake.

cool. points sent. may the admin gods take this and place it into the Diy & User Knowledgebase sticky ;)
working on it... editing old + long posts has recently become an issue here... I've got a list of DIY posts I want to add.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Very Nicely done. Also sent points

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the support and i'm glad to of been able to help anyone else who might have problems with this in the future. I would of been able to do a write up on doing a engine swap but I was more focused on getting it done and didn't take really any pictures.

Hmm didn't know or ever really pay attention that the speedo moved to '0' when idling. Guess there are different ways of doing the same thing and probably a lot safer then doing the freeway method hahaha.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So I can't help but ask...am I missing what was painted fir the photo on page 7? The woke face does look different than mine but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that looks different other than the numbers etc look a while lot whiter and brighter, but the needles look pretty stock, no? Or are they redder?

I don't mean this as insulting I'm just trying to understand if it is a subtle mod ore I'm missing something? I was hoping to see blue needles or something!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I can't help but ask...am I missing what was painted fir the photo on page 7? The woke face does look different than mine but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that looks different other than the numbers etc look a while lot whiter and brighter, but the needles look pretty stock, no? Or are they redder?

I don't mean this as insulting I'm just trying to understand if it is a subtle mod ore I'm missing something? I was hoping to see blue needles or something!

This mod is a generalization on a 'how to' for painting your needles and if you run into any calibration problems. My mod I did was not a crazy mod. I just went from orange needles to a red and changed out that ugly greenish color to a 6000k white led. You can't see it but I missed a little 74 that needed to be swapped out so I just took it out till I get one put in. Your free to change to any color of your liking. But yes your correct that My mod was not a drastic one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Oh ok now I see it....So how many bulbs are there back there to pull and replace? Must be a lot to get decently uniform color?

The led bulbs I am using (Phillips) for my interior and for my license plate are 20 bucks a pair so I might have to find some cheaper ones for his mod!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can go on ebay and find: 10pcs Xenon White T10 Wedge 5 SMD 5050 LED Light Bulbs 192 168 194 W5W 2825 158 | eBay

Ebay is pretty much the place to go for lights. Make sure to look at consumer comments as you'll be able to see if they are good or not.

But good question on as to how many bulbs there are. I thought there were just the 3 194's, but there is a smaller 74 that lights up the right side of the speedo. I missed that one and need to order one. But there are several tiny lights that are for the 'Drive positions' that i don't think you can take out. I ended up popping one when i tried to take it out lol. Not sure what size those are and there are several others for the check engine ect. But I didn't care to swap those. I'm sure there might be a page dedicated to the bulb sizes some where on here and would happily make a edit in the pdf to show the led's. But as of right now I don't want to put half ass info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts