Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have searched and read, and frankly my eyes and head hurt, i thought the post http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/handling-suspension-and-axle/73198-ez-lift-spacers-vs-toytech/ gave lots of good info but it hurt my head and I know I am going to have to re read it a few times. But from what I gather the "best" front level kit on the cheap is the daystar because of the 2 piece poly bushing?

I am looking for recomendations here and I will start off with my intentions, I do not hardcore off road, but do take it on maintained mountain roads, I do inteend to tow (my Supra) and haul (Supra engine) would probably be the heaviest load.

I am looking for a more heavy duty shock, Would like to either level the front or a 2" lift (or is that the level kit??), I do understand the cv boot issue and that would be easly addressed. For the lift I was looking at the Toytec kit w/ aal. With any spacer/lift kit is the uca like total chaos required or a GOOD recommendation?

Also what tire size does one recommend with the level/lift kit?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
For towing, road travel, and offroad driving...even fire roads and dirt roads...lower is always better, as low as you can keep it and fit the tire you want.

That in mind, I've been wheeling now with two different Tundras on 35s with body lifts and coilover or spacer lifts, and they did just fine on the trails we were running...nothing crazy, but certainly the sort of thing you'd be doing, if not rougher.

A wider, low profile tire will be more stable and handle better on the road, to a point...it'll also want to ride ridges, ruts and seams more than a narrow tire. If you're definately spending much more time on the road but would like a larger tire and leveled or mildly lifted truck, consider larger rims, 17" or 18" and a tire with 285mm section width...that would be a 285/70/17 or 285/65/18 (I think)...you won't get the easy fitment of a 255/85/16 (narrow 33") and the larger rim won't be as versatile offroad as a 16" rim, but the tradeoff is they will be good enough offroad for what you're doing--it's about the same amount of sidewall as a 265/70/16--and the rim/tire combo will be more stable than the narrow 33 or the 285mm wide tire on a 16" rim. Since you're not going offroad much, or doing anything crazy there, you won't (often) encounter clearance issues with the wider 33" tire. Just something to consider.

With any larger (wider) tire, an aftermarket upper control arm is a good recommendation since it resolves clearance problems between the stock upper control arm and the sidewall of your new tire. Also, it's required if you use a thick spacer mounting on top of the spring pack.

As far as heavier duty, the SAW and Donahoe offerings will definately help on and offroad, but I suspect a set of 5100s or even the aftermarket TRD shocks (the stiffer valving, not the OEM TRD stuff) would suffice.

Sounds like you've got it more or less sorted out, hope that helps...

-Sean

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write up but still leaves 1 question unanwsered. Do you recommend the Daystar lift over the Toytec?

I think i would run in this fashion as my set up.

Lift still deciding (awaiting your input), Bilstiens HD shocks, Total chaos uca's, Wheels i would like to go with wheeleers aluminum wheels i just think they look bad ***, Tires BF Goodrich as far as size id run stock as long as it didnt look goofy but still looking at sizes.

On the side note, a tire size comparable to 33" shouldnt require regear concidering I do 99% of driving on highway, with no load in bed or towing a trailer?

·
1,770 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I left it unanswered on purpose...there's nothing wrong with either product if you keep in mind what they require.

If you're getting the uniballs for certain, there's no reason not to get the Toytec kit that installs over the coilover. You'll have a little more travel and the ride will be more comfortable than any in-pack spacer thanks to the available travel with the uniball.

If you didn't get the uniballs then the Daystar would probably be the better choice.

Don't sweat the 33s :tu:. Many of us have run them for years without issue.

-Sean

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to Wheeler's Offroad for the Daystar kits, lots to choose from
Be sure to browse the entire Tundra items/parts in the Index
Daystar Lift Kits for Toyota Tundra -Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc-
thx been all over that site, and a few more deciding

DevinSixtySeven said:
I left it unanswered on purpose...there's nothing wrong with either product if you keep in mind what they require.

If you're getting the uniballs for certain, there's no reason not to get the Toytec kit that installs over the coilover. You'll have a little more travel and the ride will be more comfortable than any in-pack spacer thanks to the available travel with the uniball.

If you didn't get the uniballs then the Daystar would probably be the better choice.

Don't sweat the 33s . Many of us have run them for years without issue.

-Sean
gotcha, didn't know your reasoning behind it. well, looks like i will have a big day ahead of me, ill order the new cv boots, uca's and the toytec kit. this is gonna be a fun install :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i had the toytec lift installed for a while and i really liked it, i think you will be happy
did you tow or haul with your kit any?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
did you tow or haul with your kit any?
yes i hauled pallets in the bed frequently, about 13 to 16 at a time. the rear end did squat a little bit but it really helped with the add-a-leaf. i later took the add-a-leaf off though to bulldog the truck. didnt really tow anything on a trailer besides just an empty trailer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The CV boots are at least a 4-beer job :D. One day for UCAs and spacers, one day for CV boots :p...

Post dirty pics when it's all installed.

:)devil:...that means find a trail to flex it out and post up the results)
hahaha that i will do ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thx apimpdad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts