Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: 1st post and I need your help! Coming back to work from lunch today, and my 2000 V6 Tundra died while making a right hand turn. Ok, kinda odd, but it's 7 years old and 92k miles, so whatever. Put it in neutral, started, gave it some juice and away we went. Next turn, same thing!?! WTF?! Battery is good, as it spins over fine. Voltmeter shows charging.

It runs great, it just won't idle. If I start it while giving it gas and then keep the RPMs up after it lights off, it will go. Changed plugs and fuel filter about 10K miles ago. Air filter (K&N) is good, cleaned MAF about 8k ago because of rough idle (cured it), but this isn't rough like that was- this is NO idle! Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
:cry: 1st post and I need your help! Coming back to work from lunch today, and my 2000 V6 Tundra died while making a right hand turn. Ok, kinda odd, but it's 7 years old and 92k miles, so whatever. Put it in neutral, started, gave it some juice and away we went. Next turn, same thing!?! WTF?! Battery is good, as it spins over fine. Voltmeter shows charging.

It runs great, it just won't idle. If I start it while giving it gas and then keep the RPMs up after it lights off, it will go. Changed plugs and fuel filter about 10K miles ago. Air filter (K&N) is good, cleaned MAF about 8k ago because of rough idle (cured it), but this isn't rough like that was- this is NO idle! Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!
Make sure the none of the vacuum lines got disconnected. Does this happen when engine is at operating temp or when its cold or both?? How does the brake feel? It may be caused by defective brake booster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the none of the vacuum lines got disconnected. Does this happen when engine is at operating temp or when its cold or both?? How does the brake feel? It may be caused by defective brake booster.
Looked at all the vaccum lines and everything looks good. It's occuring at operating temps (right now). I D/Ced the battery, let it sit for a few mins and then started it back, thinking that might somehow reset the ECM. Well, I still have to juice it to get it started, but it will at least idle, albeit very rough. So now I'm thinking maybe the MAF sensor? If so my K&N is getting the boot- this is crap. Curious about the brake booster comment- can you explain that one to me? I'm not the worlds best mechanic but I've never heard a correlation between a brake booster and a idle problem....but given the linked nature of everything now, I wouldn't be surprised. THANKS!!!!:cry:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2000 V8 was exhibiting low idle speed too, and needed an injector cleaning. It doesn't have a throttle setting that you can tweak. I always thought the injector clean they sold was bogus, but it appears not.

jim

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Looked at all the vaccum lines and everything looks good. It's occuring at operating temps (right now). I D/Ced the battery, let it sit for a few mins and then started it back, thinking that might somehow reset the ECM. Well, I still have to juice it to get it started, but it will at least idle, albeit very rough. So now I'm thinking maybe the MAF sensor? If so my K&N is getting the boot- this is crap. Curious about the brake booster comment- can you explain that one to me? I'm not the worlds best mechanic but I've never heard a correlation between a brake booster and a idle problem....but given the linked nature of everything now, I wouldn't be surprised. THANKS!!!!:cry:
Brake booster uses engine vacuum to do their thing. If it is defective ,like for example, having an internal leak when used, it will leak or cause vacuum to leak and thus killing the engine at idle. When engine is at higher RPM, it produces a lot of vacuum, so a small leak like that won't be noticeable. Start the engine. Let it get to normal idle, if it can. Step on the brake pedal for a few seconds. If you notice the rpm going down or the engine dying, the brake booster has a leak. But check the maf sensor also, it may have been contaminated.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a 2000 with 114K and have made cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor every oil change a habit. A few squirts with electrical contact cleaner and it is clean. I had the engine die once when it was warm and threw some codes a while back that all cleared up with the cleaning.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check the ground on your battery or it could be your fuel filter if you haven't already changed it its time due to your mileage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's just something simple but try resetting your car by taking off the negative battery cable for 15 seconds and then put it back on. It might help with the idle problem i know when my friends was idleing low we tried that and it worked.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the same problem but it was caused by the two front o2 sensors, somedays in the morning it started but the died, tried several times or pumped gas and keep rev up then put on Drive and go!!. I had a CEL, both front o2 sensor bad, changed them and after 5 months no more dying!!! and no more cel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts