Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We returned from vacation to find our Sequoia stuck in park. We can shift between gears and can hear and feel it shifting from park to reverse, etc. but it doesn't move beyond that 4-5" play that the vechicle has when you shift into park (after you go into park it moves forward a few inches until the parking brake sets). We went through the 4 wheel drive system and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions or things to check? We had no problems with the transmission b4 we left.

Thanks in advance!
John V.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Hi All,

We returned from vacation to find our Sequoia stuck in park. We can shift between gears and can hear and feel it shifting from park to reverse, etc. but it doesn't move beyond that 4-5" play that the vechicle has when you shift into park (after you go into park it moves forward a few inches until the parking brake sets). We went through the 4 wheel drive system and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions or things to check? We had no problems with the transmission b4 we left.

Thanks in advance!
John V.
John,
Stuck brakes does seem to be the most likely cause at this point. Was your Sequoia parked outside while you were gone? How long did it sit undisturbed? If it is in fact your brakes, I'm leaning towards your front pads being frozen to the rotor. I've heard of this happening on other vehicles in the past but I don't recall another instance like this reported on TS.

You can try to identify the stuck brakes by lifting the front and then the rear ends independently from each other to see which wheels will or will not spin while lifted. You can even do this by lifting one wheel/corner at a time with a jack.
- Rear brakes test: The front wheels must be blocked while the back end is lifted since the parking brake only engages the rear brakes. The transmission should be in neutral and the parking brake should be off.
- Front brakes test: Parking brake should be set to keep the vehicle from rolling while the front end is lifted.

Please let us know what you find.

Paul

PS: You may want to direct people to this thread from your identical posting in the Sequoia forum so that everyone can benefit from all responses.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Check the E-Brake. This happened on my Tundra once after my dad drove it. He parked and, for some reason, decided to put the E-Brake on. Later that day when I went to drive it and put it in drive, nothing happened. I had to floor it to get moving. Then I noticed the red idiot light in my dash, and in bright red letters, "BRAKE". Took off the E-Brake and problem solved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - the emergency brake was not on. In fact, we never use the e-brake, though I did set and release it several times just to see if that might help. No luck.

The Sequoia was sitting, outside, for about 10 days. I don't think it is actually brake related, since the vechicle does move those 4-5". You can put in into gear and it moves those few inches then feels like it's hitting a wall and then stops cold.

We've checksed the brake lights and fuses, all ok. The e-brake cable isn't kinked or caught in anything either. I'm stumped.

John

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Can you push the vehicle forward more than 4" - 5" with the transmission in neutral?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
OK. If you lift your vehicle to see which wheels will spin, that would go a long way in determining the problem.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I agree, you are going to need to jack it up and determine if it is locked in one wheel or if an entire axle is affected. If it's front or rear.
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks - that's today's gameplan. We need to figure out how to tow this thing, if it comes to that, since it's backed into the driveway up against the garage door. We'll keep everyone posted. I was hoping this had come up with others to point me in the right direction but maybe I have the unfortunate luck of being the first one affected by this problem.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'01 Seq. stuck in park - problem resolved

Hi All,

Good news - apparantly the rear brakes were rusted solid and we were able to brake them free but it took a lot of force. Hard to belive that they could be that tightly rusted! It has been very wet here in Illinois the past week or so but I am still in awe of the power of rust!

John

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Do you have rear disc brake or are they drums?
Mike

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Re: '01 Seq. stuck in park - problem resolved

Hi All,

Good news - apparantly the rear brakes were rusted solid and we were able to brake them free but it took a lot of force. Hard to belive that they could be that tightly rusted! It has been very wet here in Illinois the past week or so but I am still in awe of the power of rust!

John
Wow. I really was expecting the front pads to be the problem given their larger size compared to the rear pads, and the fact that your Sequoia actually moved a few inches while it was stuck.

What did you do to unstick the rear brakes?

Thank you for the follow up.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All,

Our Sequoia has front and rear disc brakes. I'm really not sure how it moved those 4-5", I'm assuming it was the chassis moving (rocking), not the tires. The front tires were NOT locked up, just the rear. The way it got fixed was brute force - put it in drive and floored it - the rear driver tire was moving slightly, the rear passenger, not at all. The front tires basically pulled the rear ones until the rear driver tire loosened up, then it took about 20-25' of dragging that last frozen tire down the driveway until it just went BAM!! and popped loose. I can't believe just how tightly frozen they were - I drove it through some pretty wet weather right before we left and it was wet during the week too -

Take care-
John

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Hi All,

Our Sequoia has front and rear disc brakes. I'm really not sure how it moved those 4-5", I'm assuming it was the chassis moving (rocking), not the tires. The front tires were NOT locked up, just the rear. The way it got fixed was brute force - put it in drive and floored it - the rear driver tire was moving slightly, the rear passenger, not at all. The front tires basically pulled the rear ones until the rear driver tire loosened up, then it took about 20-25' of dragging that last frozen tire down the driveway until it just went BAM!! and popped loose. I can't believe just how tightly frozen they were - I drove it through some pretty wet weather right before we left and it was wet during the week too -

Take care-
John
If the problem returns, I would have to say that it is an axle seal leaking and causing the e-brake pads to hang up. Rolling 4-5" and then stopping is a very common axle seal leak ,problem and symptom. The gear oil coats the linings of the brakes and locks things up. I did one yesterday with this same symptom.
Just something to check if the problem persists.
I agree with CHIS01YZ, how can rust be the problem if it rolls????
I think you just released the the stuck brakes from an axle seal leak, by using BRUTE force, and the problem may return.
I hope I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I would say that the parking brake on this is an internal shoe type. If water got up in it and then is sat it is very likely that the shoes rusted to the small internal drums. The rocking movement that you got was the shoes moving back against the stops.
I would not let this go without and inspection. Even if there is no noise the shoes could now be damaged. Part of the material could still be attach to the drum and damaging the remaining shoes. I have seen the material come completely off the shoe web and stay stuck to the drum.
If nothing else you need to pull the rotors and clean the rust out of the drums. You can just sand them out with sand paper.
But I would definitely take a look.
This may seem a bit weird but to keep this from happening, every once in a while (maybe once a week or more if it's been raining a lot) drive a bit with the park brake on. Set it to just have a little drag (not all the way on) and back out of your drive with it on, that's all. This will clean any surface rust from the drum and won't hurt a thing.
Mike

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Today, my wife's 02 Sequoia 4WD got stuck in park and she had to get a ride home from work. She told me what happened and I thought it was weird since I drove the Sequoia to church the other day with no problems using my keys. We went to her office and I inserted the key into the ignition and lights came on but it would not start. I saw that my wife had makeup, and other debris around the 4WD shift. I cleared the debris and moved the 4WD shifter around just to be sure. I then inserted the key into the ignition and same thing happened. lights came on but Sequoia would not start and not move out of park. I then remembered reading about the weight of keys on a key chain could affect the ignition on a vehicle. My wife's key chain had so many doodads on it that it weighed probably close to a pound. I removed the ignition key from the key chain and bam the Sequoia started and I was able to put the transmission into drive and drive home with no problems. We had no previous problems with the Sequoia and it has about 87,000 miles. I will take it in for its 90,000 mile service plus have the transmission checked and flushed just to be on the safe side. I am just passing the info in the event you have a key chain loaded with keys like my wife's key chain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts