Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We returned from vacation to find our Sequoia stuck in park. We can shift between gears and can hear and feel it shifting from park to reverse, etc. but it doesn't move beyond that 4-5" play that the vechicle has when you shift into park (after you go into park it moves forward a few inches until the parking brake sets). We went through the 4 wheel drive system and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions or things to check? We had no problems with the transmission b4 we left.

Thanks in advance!
John V.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - the emergency brake was not on. In fact, we never use the e-brake, though I did set and release it several times just to see if that might help. No luck.

The Sequoia was sitting, outside, for about 10 days. I don't think it is actually brake related, since the vechicle does move those 4-5". You can put in into gear and it moves those few inches then feels like it's hitting a wall and then stops cold.

We've checksed the brake lights and fuses, all ok. The e-brake cable isn't kinked or caught in anything either. I'm stumped.

John

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks - that's today's gameplan. We need to figure out how to tow this thing, if it comes to that, since it's backed into the driveway up against the garage door. We'll keep everyone posted. I was hoping this had come up with others to point me in the right direction but maybe I have the unfortunate luck of being the first one affected by this problem.

John

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
'01 Seq. stuck in park - problem resolved

Hi All,

Good news - apparantly the rear brakes were rusted solid and we were able to brake them free but it took a lot of force. Hard to belive that they could be that tightly rusted! It has been very wet here in Illinois the past week or so but I am still in awe of the power of rust!

John

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All,

Our Sequoia has front and rear disc brakes. I'm really not sure how it moved those 4-5", I'm assuming it was the chassis moving (rocking), not the tires. The front tires were NOT locked up, just the rear. The way it got fixed was brute force - put it in drive and floored it - the rear driver tire was moving slightly, the rear passenger, not at all. The front tires basically pulled the rear ones until the rear driver tire loosened up, then it took about 20-25' of dragging that last frozen tire down the driveway until it just went BAM!! and popped loose. I can't believe just how tightly frozen they were - I drove it through some pretty wet weather right before we left and it was wet during the week too -

Take care-
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.