Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Hi All,

We returned from vacation to find our Sequoia stuck in park. We can shift between gears and can hear and feel it shifting from park to reverse, etc. but it doesn't move beyond that 4-5" play that the vechicle has when you shift into park (after you go into park it moves forward a few inches until the parking brake sets). We went through the 4 wheel drive system and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions or things to check? We had no problems with the transmission b4 we left.

Thanks in advance!
John V.
John,
Stuck brakes does seem to be the most likely cause at this point. Was your Sequoia parked outside while you were gone? How long did it sit undisturbed? If it is in fact your brakes, I'm leaning towards your front pads being frozen to the rotor. I've heard of this happening on other vehicles in the past but I don't recall another instance like this reported on TS.

You can try to identify the stuck brakes by lifting the front and then the rear ends independently from each other to see which wheels will or will not spin while lifted. You can even do this by lifting one wheel/corner at a time with a jack.
- Rear brakes test: The front wheels must be blocked while the back end is lifted since the parking brake only engages the rear brakes. The transmission should be in neutral and the parking brake should be off.
- Front brakes test: Parking brake should be set to keep the vehicle from rolling while the front end is lifted.

Please let us know what you find.

Paul

PS: You may want to direct people to this thread from your identical posting in the Sequoia forum so that everyone can benefit from all responses.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Can you push the vehicle forward more than 4" - 5" with the transmission in neutral?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
OK. If you lift your vehicle to see which wheels will spin, that would go a long way in determining the problem.

Paul

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Re: '01 Seq. stuck in park - problem resolved

Hi All,

Good news - apparantly the rear brakes were rusted solid and we were able to brake them free but it took a lot of force. Hard to belive that they could be that tightly rusted! It has been very wet here in Illinois the past week or so but I am still in awe of the power of rust!

John
Wow. I really was expecting the front pads to be the problem given their larger size compared to the rear pads, and the fact that your Sequoia actually moved a few inches while it was stuck.

What did you do to unstick the rear brakes?

Thank you for the follow up.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.