Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I agree, you are going to need to jack it up and determine if it is locked in one wheel or if an entire axle is affected. If it's front or rear.
Mike

· Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Do you have rear disc brake or are they drums?
Mike

· Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I would say that the parking brake on this is an internal shoe type. If water got up in it and then is sat it is very likely that the shoes rusted to the small internal drums. The rocking movement that you got was the shoes moving back against the stops.
I would not let this go without and inspection. Even if there is no noise the shoes could now be damaged. Part of the material could still be attach to the drum and damaging the remaining shoes. I have seen the material come completely off the shoe web and stay stuck to the drum.
If nothing else you need to pull the rotors and clean the rust out of the drums. You can just sand them out with sand paper.
But I would definitely take a look.
This may seem a bit weird but to keep this from happening, every once in a while (maybe once a week or more if it's been raining a lot) drive a bit with the park brake on. Set it to just have a little drag (not all the way on) and back out of your drive with it on, that's all. This will clean any surface rust from the drum and won't hurt a thing.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.