Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was reading about putting new brakes on and i hear that some tundras had bad brakes, i have already replaced the rotors and pads, is it something else like the master or caps? Or was the TSB just related to rotors/pads, if so i got over 76k now could i still go in and get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
There are two major upgrades to the early Tundra brakes. The first is the caliper upgrade in which you can find many post about here. TSB BROO1-03 shows identification of the old caliper which has a sort of wing cast on the top side pointing towards the hub and the new one which is a larger over all mass and has no wing.
The second upgrade is simply a heavier brake drum and it is covered in TSBOO3-02 this drum has more mass can resisted warping better and dispenses heat better.
Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i have aproblem, my tundra is over the 5 year warn, and way over the mileage. so i guess i am going to have to pay for everything now

·
Registered
564 Posts
THE most important things for the brakes on our trucks is to properly adjust the rear drums. Without doing this, you're reducing the braking capacity by 10%+/-. Adjust them and you'll see what i mean. If you don't know how to do it right do a search of this forum and that'll tell you how to do it and what not to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: HELP! 01 Tundra Bad Brakes TSB?

Hey Guys:

I did this upgrade on my 2001 Tundra. (Actually my brother did who is a certified mechanic). I purchased "loaded" calipers and new "professional grade" rotors from Raybestos (remanufactured). Followed the directions and all went pretty good, but my brake pedal travel was WAY more then before.

We bled the lines good, and he adjusted the rear brakes, and now the brake travel is better, but still not ideal. I purchased the Toyota Shims listed in the instructions (Shim Kits Toyota part #0494535080), but did not use them, as I figured the "loaded" Calipers would be good to go for my truck.

I've poked around the forums. There is another TSB (BR005-06 INCONSISTENT OR UNUSUAL BRAKE FEELING) that references a different shim for the 2003 Tundra 43512–60151. Are these the same shim?

Does it make sense that the loaded calipers from Raybestos would need the shims installed seperately?

I ordered the same Calipers as the "upgrade" note used (Semi-Loader Calipers RH IPW part #141.44231 LH IPW part #141.44232), only loaded, just to be clear.

Sorry if this seems like an ignorant question, but I want to get these brakes sorted out. On the plus side, the vibrations are gone, but the travel is un-nerving. I feel like I need to pump them once to get them to grab. It's not mushy like you get with air in the lines.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
You can get a poor pedal feel if there is a a problem with the shims though this is rare. For this to occur the shim must somehow act like a spring to force one or more pistons back into the caliper, if only slightly. The first time you hit the pedal you must push that piston or pistons back out causing more travel then necessary.
I don't have this TBS but I would have to say this must be what is happening in this case.
If you have no shim, then this cannot be your problem. If you used the stick on paper or after market metal shim then you need to check them. This is more common with these type shims. Switch to the shims listed in the TBS.

If things are bleed and adjusted properly your pedal should be pretty good. If not then there is a reason why. First bleed and check you rear adjustment one more time. If this does not help then you need to isolate the problem. Ask your brother if he has brake hose clamps. These are special clamp that can be used to pinch off a brake hose without damaging it.
Start by clamping off the rear hose that feeds the rear brakes. Do Not attempt to drive it simply check the pedal feel now. If it is way better your problem can be isolated to the rear brakes.
If this shows little difference, clamp off one front, the others checking the pedal each time. When you get to the one the makes a huge difference this is where your problem is at. If you have all hose clamped and the is no change in pedal feel then your likely have a bad master cylinder.
Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mevang:

Thanks, I'll order the shims from the 03 TSB and have my brother give them a shot. We will rebleed front and rears tonight and see if that works.

Regards,
lee

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are the warranties for TSB BROO1-03 and TSBOO3-02? Thanks!
Pretty sure the warranties are standard. They gave me the same shims when I ordered the other number. We put the shims in and the mushy feeling is gone and so far the brakes are working much better with the upgraded calipers and rotors.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts