Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i got some questions this is my first tundra. ive got 150k good frame good tires good brakes, new lbjs radiator and brake lines. i was wondering what maintenance youd recommend checking on. i also got a rattle coming from the exhaust (im assuming heat plate by the cat) a whine from the engine while under load, and a drop in oil pressure when im braking. it goes right back up to 1/2 when i begin to accelerate again. if anyones got any advice on what i should look for itd be much appreciated thank you for your time.

· Registered
177 Posts
If you have a frame rail mounted fuel filter like the sequoias, you might check that out and replace it if it looks old. Before it rusts out and falls apart and you can't replace it. The hard line will rust right to the filter and nothing will come apart and the filter body will disintegrate and leak gas everywhere.

· Registered
679 Posts
Welcome to the forum. No question is "stupid" and there are lots of folks on here who have already made most of the mistakes and can help you along the way.
I have a 2002 AC 2wd... Love it! "Always remember, "Enjoy the adventure..." Chap

· Registered
10 Posts
Great advice already given by others. My 2000 SR5 has the same oil pressure issue.. drives me nuts, but it has done it from DAY ONE stealership said it’s normal. Well 161317 miles later she runs great… synthetic oil change every 5 to 7000 miles.

· Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys i got some questions this is my first tundra. ive got 150k good frame good tires good brakes, new lbjs radiator and brake lines. i was wondering what maintenance youd recommend checking on. i also got a rattle coming from the exhaust (im assuming heat plate by the cat) a whine from the engine while under load, and a drop in oil pressure when im braking. it goes right back up to 1/2 when i begin to accelerate again. if anyones got any advice on what i should look for itd be much appreciated thank you for your time.
The OIL pressure is Normal,all the first Gen Tundras with the 4.7 are like that, perhaps some new denso spark plugs, take one out and look at it,if the ATF Fluid still has some Red color to it, do a simple ATF Fluid Drain and Fill,if it's Black as Dirty Motor Oil I can't advice you, but yeah change out the power steering fluid, coolant fluid, Rear diff,etc. And Definitely try to find out when was the Timing Belt Replaced
I'm attaching a picture of my 2001 Tundra ❤ I got caught up on the maintenance items after I bought it i installed keyless entry, a rear view mirror backup camera, Adjustable Bilstein 5100's on the front to level it up with the tear and other little things
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

· Registered
2000 tundra 4.7 4x4. Not much stock on it besides the engine
34 Posts
I never did like the oil pressure gauge in mine. I put a mechanical one in the driver side vent and it works great. Tapped into the factory location by the oil filter and haven't had a problem with it yet

· Registered
9 Posts
I never did like the oil pressure gauge in mine. I put a mechanical one in the driver side vent and it works great. Tapped into the factory location by the oil filter and haven't had a problem with it yet
I've been thinking about adding one in tandem with the factory one as well so you could see the actual reading/PSI.
I imagine yours was reading "low" like others, what were your actual pressure readings?
Last oil change I cleaned the sensor out and it seamed to bring the needle up a bit...

· Registered
2000 tundra 4.7 4x4. Not much stock on it besides the engine
34 Posts
I've been thinking about adding one in tandem with the factory one as well so you could see the actual reading/PSI.
I imagine yours was reading "low" like others, what were your actual pressure readings?
Last oil change I cleaned the sensor out and it seamed to bring the needle up a bit...
Once I figure out how to upload pictures I'll send em on here. Every time I try it doesn't let me

· Registered
18 Posts
Here's my 2001 Tundra access cab 4.7, I've owned around 10 trucks over the years, different makes, this is my first Toyota and I have to say, It's my Favorite of all of them,i Paid $3,400 cash, price on the window sticker at the dealership was $5,495, i suppose I got it at the perfect time in January 2020, it's been very well maintained by the previous owner from California
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

1 - 15 of 15 Posts