Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have an 02 Tundra AC in black that is as far as I can tell it is in stock shape with no mods. I just had the LBJs done.

I am getting 13.9 mpgs so far. Mostly freeway and some stuff around San Jose etc. I read about the Royal Purple, the tire pressure, and the debate about cold air systems.

So far I have changed the air filter to a clean fram in the stock box.

I plan on getting the oil changed to RP thus weekend.

I have raised the air pressure in the tire too.

My goal is to get the truck to a respectable level of 18 mpg

Any assistance would be apprecitated

Les

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I would suggest cleaning your throttle body and MAF sensor. Do this BEFORE your oil change ;).

Also may not hurt to put in some new plugs.

What are you tires set at?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before you spend a lot of money at a repair shop, go buy a $20 can of BG44k injector and fuel system cleaner, available at any NAPA or Carquest. I am not into additives much but have had stellar mechanics tell me to do the same. I have used it religiously in all my vehicles for years and usually get better mileage than the mfg says it will. My 2000 tundra V8 gets 16 mpg in town and 20 mpg/hwy at 6000 feet elevation. I put in a can every 10k. Try it, it will only help, even if you have other problems.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Go buy some Seafoam. It cleans out the carbon deposits in the heads. After that, change your sparkplugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. This is my first time posting, but I hope my all-around truck experience will help.

I don't know if you've tried this, but check your air filter out. I got 3+ mpg after switching out my dirt/bug infested filter and replacing it w/ a k&n with no change in driving style (also, as a bonus w/ a k&n you get this real cool whistling noise if you goose the throttle up, so it's kinda sweet)

Also, note your driving style. Are you tailgating others who get in your way, and braking super hard and late?

Do you have stuff in the bed (I had several cinder blocks in the back when it was raining...and I never bothered taking them back out...turns out that they were eating ~1 mpg)

And yes, air pressure is a big deal for a truck, so it's gotta be spot on. deflated tires = BAD. I personally have 36 psi in each tire, and if it wanders 2-3 psi short, then I inflate it up.

Hope all this helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts