Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02' Tundra V8 that just broke the timing belt. This happen when I was cranking the truck to go to work. What is the possibility that no valve/piston damage occurred since the engine was not running at RPM's.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3,521 Posts
chances are slim that it did not mess up stuff really bad but good luck!! So how many miles on original belt? 90K or 72 Months V8 which ever comes first for change intervall unless ya have the other engines listed in link!

· Registered
916 Posts
It is a well Known fact the this is an interference motor. If the OP would have come to Tundra solutions sooner maybe he could have saved his engine. I hope he gets lucky and doesn't have any major damage. His chances are slim to none. There are a few modern engines that are interference engines my neighbor has a Kia in his driveway that has bent valves from a broken belt.

· Premium Member
511 Posts
yes this v8 is an interference engine. most auto makers do not marry a belt with an interference engine for obvious reasons but toyota did in this case.

how many miles does your truck have? 90k is the change interval.

on another note, i hear that a failed tensionor is more likely to be the culprit than the belt snapping itself.

· Registered
922 Posts
The 3800 series motors from GM were chain driven and notorious for breaking chains with massive valve damage. Chains are not fool-proof. Honda has been making interference engines with timing belts for years and years.

· Registered
74 Posts
I have personally broke a timing belt on an Integra GSR and got away with no damage. When it broke did you hear something sound wrong and stop cranking or did you try and start it a few more time. The starter is strong enough to do damage.

· Registered
33 Posts
"the 5vz-fe v6 engine is a non interference engine." I'm not sure the engine model of my v-6. I'm in my office but I can check this evening . Its a 2003 4x4 extended cab V-6 automatic. I'm not asking for anyone to do my research, I'll look under the hood or at the stickers this PM, but if anyone knows off hand if my Tundra has the 5vz-fe V6 I'd be thrilled to know.
Thanks.

· Registered
130 Posts

· Registered
4,440 Posts
Wow, not busted your balls but what an attitude. Maybe he has a life and will get back when he can.
Maybe he is a Toyota mechanic and wants all of us who have belts past due to bring them into his shop.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts