Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Three weeks ago I took my 02 Highlander V6 limited to a local auto service because I noticed the day before the car making noise on the front tires. I was told the next day I had 1MM wear left on the front brakes and less than 4MM left on the rear. So I told them to replace them. A day or two later I am noticing the same kind of noise when I start pressing the brakes light and its coming from the passenger front tire. Looking at my invoice it says they changed the break pads using parts # AD-7761, AD-7762 and they did a brake cleaner, brake fluid. I waited the two weeks thinking it would go away but it didnt. So today I took it in and they told me after three hours to come get it. This time the invoice said this, "Removed all wheels and changed the brake pad anti rattle/squeel clip which broke and was replaced it."

After taking the car when I drove him and turn the windows down and turn the music off as I got closer to a red light and started to press the brakes lightly I can hear the squeel again. What can cause this? Four years ago I changed the front brakes from a toyota dealer and never had this problem. Now I am thinking the invoice said they changed the clip from the front left brake and I am hearing the squeel from the front right brakes but I wanted to know if it could be somethig else.

Thanks for your help.

Leon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its pretty safe to say if you only hear break squeaking while braking, it’s the brakes.
On older vehicles when the Break fluid is flushed, and new pads are added, a really firm slam on the breaks in needed to be sure proper piston contact is made and everything is lined back up.

The “break cleaner & Lube” is marketing hype as they don’t really do much but give a 2 second shot of break cleaner to the calipers before they stick the new pads on.

My money would be on the new pads not hitting the EXACT same spot as the old ones. The disk rotors are a type of metal that shows oxidation almost immediately when not used. After a few years its got some very thick rust going-on outside of where the pads sit. This usually puts rusty flakes on the edges of the pads and if the new pads are not in the EXACT same aligned spot as the old pads it can lead to temporary squeaking.

Go out and “really” hit the breaks hard a couple of times and look at the disks to see if the surface area design of the new pads is actually larger then the old ones. Spray a bunch of cheap Wal-mart break cleaner all over the pads and calipers and see if that helps to. The noise should go away if Toyota did what they claim to have done.

:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts