Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Sequoia and need to tow an Ameratrail boat trailer that has hydraulic disk brakes with an actutator. The connector on the trailer is a 5 pin flat connector. I have the 4 pin connector on the Sequoia now. My understanding is the 5th pin is for the surge brakes so I can back the trailer without the brakes engaging.

I've read the forum, but it seems much of the advice is on the 7 pin connections. I'm not clear on just a 5 pin connector setup.

For the 5 pin to tow a boat trailer, do you need to run all the lines described for the 7 pin connector (don't have a trailer battery to charge) or can you just tap into the back-up light line and the existing trailer connector on the Sequioa to end up with a 5 pin connector. I'll probably take this to a hitch shop for the install, but want to know going in what needs be done.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I have an 02 Sequoia and need to tow an Ameratrail boat trailer that has hydraulic disk brakes with an actutator. The connector on the trailer is a 5 pin flat connector. I have the 4 pin connector on the Sequoia now. My understanding is the 5th pin is for the surge brakes so I can back the trailer without the brakes engaging.

I've read the forum, but it seems much of the advice is on the 7 pin connections. I'm not clear on just a 5 pin connector setup.

For the 5 pin to tow a boat trailer, do you need to run all the lines described for the 7 pin connector (don't have a trailer battery to charge) or can you just tap into the back-up light line and the existing trailer connector on the Sequioa to end up with a 5 pin connector. I'll probably take this to a hitch shop for the install, but want to know going in what needs be done.

Thanks for any assistance.
First, you don't need to run all the lines for a 7 pin connector unless you foresee towing some kind of travel trailer in the future
....or some other kind of trailer that has electrically operated brakes requiring a brake controller.

If all you ever intend to tow are surge brake equipped trailers....like your boat trailer...then all you really need is a signal wire from your backup lights connected to the 5th pin on your trailer's hookup. What that 5th pin does, BTW, is actuate a solenoid/valve that prevents the trailer's hydraulic master cylinder from applying the trailer's brakes while you are backing the trailer.

It would be a good idea to see what kind of current draw the aforementioned solenoid valve on the trailer has....if it's much more than an amp or so, I'd advise adding a relay on the truck (fed by a fused (10 or 20 amp) 12 V wire from the battery) that is actuated by a wire from the backup lights. That way you can provide a bunch of current to the trailer's solenoid without overloading the trucks existing backup lighting circuit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts