Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Sequoia shut down on the highway. Toyota service discovered left intake camshaft had sheared (pin) from timing pulley. They replace the camshaft only to find that the same thing had happened to the right side. Having replaced both camshafts, they now find that the engine has a low end knock and oil pressure reading is L. They are blaming both problems on low/ thick oil. I have both camshafts and see little to no wear - bearing surfaces are perfect. There is a known problem with the oil pressure sensor so I don't even know if that is working. I never had any indication of low oil level or oil pressure. Mechanic told me that the diagnositic when I towed the car in did not show any oil pressure problem.
Their recommended fix is to either buy a short block (Toyota $5100) or a new or refurb engine ($4500).
So, does it make sense that old / thick oil would cause the camshift shear pin failure? How do I know whether the oil pressure is really low or a sensor problem? Mechanic is currently flushing the engine with transmission fluid to clean sludge, in hopes that helps the oil pressure problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That doesn't make sense why did he want replace the cams if there is no damage to them. Sounds like your lower end locked up and the pins done there job and broke to keep from causing any other damage. Flushing with trans fluid at this point won't help anything. Has the guy even checked the oil pressure with a gauge to see what it is pumping out? Sounds like motor time hate to hear that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts